Sunday, September 25, 2016

Ancestry DNA Results

are in!

These are mine on top with my Dad's on the bottom line.

 Great Britain Scandinavia Ireland includes Scotland/Wales Western Europe   Other
ME      40        28                 20                                     9               3  
Dad     45        26                 23                                      --              6

My other is 2% Italy and 1% Iberian Peninsula (Spain area). I believe those are also part of my dad's 6% other.

Of course, the reason they aren't an exact match is because 50% of my DNA comes from my mom. Even siblings will not be the same although very similar because of the mixing of the DNA which occurs with each child.  The good news is that my dad showed up as my dad on the DNA and the first person under cousin was my known cousin Margaret Gibson Bell.  There were many familiar connections as many of my Owen family and the Morgan family have been involved in research and have done the DNA as well.  Of course, the DNA stuff is very new and we are likely to learn a lot more in the next 50 years but it is fun.

I can't remember Gary's much but I do know that he is more British than most current British people are.

We have not yet found anyone on our family tree from Scandinavia.  As my dad was adopted and there are some unknowns about his biological father it is possible that they might be that branch of the family.  His biological mother is where at least some of the Irish comes from as Morgans were from Ireland.  My dad has the red hair to prove it.  It will be interesting to see if we can make some headway in finding more about my dad's biological father.  

In the connections of possible cousins lists on Ancestry there are some who appear not to be connected to the Morgan side of the family but can't figure out where the connection might be. Mysteries--I love them but don't have too much time to investigate at the moment.

x

No comments: