Sunday, September 4, 2016

First week of school and internship for me

but no pictures.  Somehow I managed to skip out without Gary or Jena deciding that I needed to take a picture for the blog.

School is great.  It is nice to finally be in the "home stretch" with only three more semesters to go. August 2017 is just around the corner.  This semester we only will be at school until 9:00 pm on Tuesdays nights which is a big improvement over 10:30 pm.

This week, I also started my internship with trainings on Thursday and Friday all day.  It has been amazing and I feel so lucky to be at The Children's Center and to be able to learn and work in that environment.  There are two psychologist PhD interns who are full-time.  They are Patty from Miami, FL (and she is Cuban which is fun) and Jen from Pittsburgh.  Then there is a student from the U in her third year of school (Counseling Psychology) who will be there 10 hours a week.  Her name is Pamela and she is from Las Vegas. She is Latino and both she and Patty speak fluent Spanish which is such a great thing in our work.  They are in their mid-20s and new to all things LDS so we are coaching them through the relevant cultural issues for that population. Everyone else we have been meeting during our training have been so friendly and  give us advice and support.  I think everyone has told us--"Don't get behind on your paperwork" and "Don't worry.  We know you will make mistakes.  It is okay."  Another two weeks of training, observations and real meetings and then we will start doing assessments and be given clients.  They have a stack of clients for us to evaluate because they are so busy.

Here is the office that will be mine for the next 9 months.  The building was built in 1885 or something like that and restored in 2009.  They tried to maintain some of the features from the original style.  I have two windows which are about 12 feet tall with ceiling heights well over that. The office faces north which prevents some of the direct heat from the sun....and you can't tell but there are yellow sunflowers growing down there.
View out the window


These toys were left but the yellow one has to go.
It doesn't seem warm and calming to me!
I will start moving some toys and books in next week.  I knew I have saved all of these toys and books for a reason.

16 hours done---584 to go!!!

2 comments:

Gemie said...

Judy, I love your post and the adventure you are embarking on!!!

I laughed about the yellow toy. I read an article about the psychology of color many years ago. It said that yellow was an anxiety inducing color, so you should not buy a yellow sports car with a long hood if you were going to be spending a lot of time driving in heavy traffic. I had always thought of it as a cheerful color. I don't remember much else from the article except that it said orange made for larger food appetite (something that Whataburger aparantly knows). I think it said blue and green were calming colors and that team uniforms should be red (I remember thinking BYU and Utah needed to switch colors). Apparently red made one more competitive or aggressive. Cowboys and Mavericks should change as well. Ha, ha.

Have a great week!

Judy said...

I love yellow and have yellow walls in my house. I think of it as cheerful also. And usually I get compliments on the walls and people say they have them feel happy. However I will have to ask my friends who deal with more anxiety what they think. (and I have heard that it is also Pres. Monson's favorite color so we are in good company.)

It was the shapes and face of the toy that made me not like it.