Sunday, January 18, 2015

New year in Sunday School

I have been attending the "extra" Sunday school class for adults because it was focused on family history for the past couple of months.  They now are teaching the Gospel Essentials class so I was really planning to switch back to study the typical curriculum of the New Testament.  However I have grown to love hearing Chera Mann (my niece) and Ashlee Hair (my visiting teacher) teach the lessons.  They are both excellent teachers and very thoughtful and spiritual as they teach.  So I decided to keep attending that class for a few weeks.  After all, I think I "know" the Gospel Essentials, right?

Well, perhaps I could pass a test on the manual but that doesn't mean that I can't learn something or more importantly "feel" something new.

Ashlee was teaching the second lesson "Heavenly Family" and we spoke about the importance of understanding that we are all brothers and sisters on this earth.  And we talked about how this doctrine does and should impact us in our lives.  Then Ashlee made a comment which touched me so profoundly--I am not sure what she actually said but what I wrote was:  "We are always surrounded by our Heavenly Family while we are on this earth."  That is so profound. I miss my earthly brothers and sisters and I love the chances we have to get together.  It is different than other gatherings even with my dearest friends (taking nothing away from my friends, because I love my friends as well).  It is just a different type of connection with my siblings. I love being surround by them.  That is the feeling we want to cultivate about all those who surround us everyday.  They are my Heavenly Family---how awesome is that!

No comments: