Sunday, February 16, 2014

Roots Tech

On Feb. 5-8 they held the 4th annual RootsTech Conference in Salt Lake.  I went last year and this year Gary joined me and my sister Valerie and her husband came up from Mesa.  This is a conference which focused on Family History and the amazing technology which can help us remember, record and share our life stories and the stories of our ancestors.  It is awesome and overwhelming at the same time.

Gary went on Wednesday which was more technical in nature.  Then we went together the following two days.  We had a great time rarely taking the same classes.  It was fun to have Valerie and Lance there as we joined for meals and sometimes ended up in the same classes--even though we didn't always know it until afterwards.

I so appreciate the wealth of written information and journals which we have on my mom's father's family as it is so nice to read and to feel the goodness of these people we come from.  It puts added importance on leaving a record of my life and the great blessings which we have received during our lives.

Technology has added so many options for us both to record our lives but also to do genealogy in searching for our ancestors.  The work is being hastened on all fronts at this time.

This is the only picture I took
It is of the schedule board.
Gary and I, Lance and Valerie and my dad and Karla all met and had dinner on Friday night at Zupa's (excellent) and then played a game together at their house.  Gary and I had made arrangements to spend the night in a hotel near the Salt Palace.  Unfortunately during the late afternoon on Friday I started having some of my pre-migraine signs and during Friday night I had a migraine so we both slept in on Saturday and then just headed back to Syracuse.  It was sad to miss the last day which included an LDS-specific track with some excellent speakers--darn! ( However it has been four months since my last migraine so I really can't complain about that.)  I have learned enough in two days to keep me busy for a long time.

Join us next year for the 5th annual conference on Feb. 12-14 in Salt Lake, I think--around then.

No comments: