Sunday, November 11, 2012

Richland Memories (con't.)

Last Wednesday evening, I got an email from my friend, Kathy (my "longest running friend") from childhood who I talked about during my trip to Richland in August.  She told me that her mother had passed away and that a funeral was being held in Sandy, Utah, where she had lived many years in their retirement years.  So I was able to attend sweet Bernice Nelson's funeral on Friday.

It was such a privilege and reminded me of her influence in my life as a welcomed friend of her youngest daughter.  I was so lucky to be raised in such an area with great people like the Nelsons and many others who showed by their actions how to love and to serve in the Church and in our community.

As a bonus, Kathy lead the music and also sang a solo that her mom had requested.  Kathy and I learned how to lead music together in a small "conducting" class that was held for young women in our ward when we were Beehives.  We had to go early for 6 or 8 weeks and we were taught how to conduct.  Then we each had to conduct in Sacrament Meeting for real life practice.  To watch her conduct the music was such a sweet memory.  And to hear her sing was a pleasure.

No comments: