Sunday, November 18, 2012

I can't think of a good title week

Perhaps I shouldn't be writing a post tonight.  I must be tired or something because I usually like naming my posts...it is part of the fun of it all and sometimes I even think my titles are quite good. 

We had a fun week but I guess there was no theme for the events, just life as we know it with four young adult children and a sophomore at home.

First a beautiful sunset shot at the end of my street.  It was so stunning that I stop to take a picture.  Real life was much better than this...

Down the street about 5 minutes later
as the sun sets beyond the Great Salt Lake.
The beginning of the week was filled with normal things and some shopping for Christmas supplies for the upcoming holiday (I haven't bought the turkey yet for Thanksgiving yet I have started Christmas shopping.  It seems a bit backwards.  Of course, I don't need to clean my refrigerator to fit in the Christmas stuff.)  I actually attended a quilt making class given by some ladies in my ward.  Some people are just very talented.  Somehow I missed some of those talents that my mom had.

Wednesday evening we ran a pinewood derby for a ward in north Syracuse.  It was actually one of the smoothest ones yet.  It was good that we had discovered some problems during our high priest derby last month and Gary was able to get some computer fixes from the company and some other little hints that helped make this one run smoothly.  This is the first time that all three of us wore our Pinewood Derby shirts that I gave Gary for Father's day.


As usual, Gary commented that if your wife
gives you a shirt that says boss on it,
then you know you are really not!!
He thinks he is so funny.
Jena and I were running errands after school with me and she commented that we both were wearing grey.  I hadn't noticed but we were.  Then she added that Gary had a grey polo on as well.  We decided we wanted a picture of us all wearing grey (the craziness of cell phone cameras) but she was disappointed that Gary had changed his shirt by the time we got home.  However he was still wearing a light grey shirt so we took the picture anyway.

I can remember thinking it was so odd
that my kids would take pictures of themselves...
now we all do it.
Thursday we spent the evening at Pack Meeting where the Scouts showed their talents.  It was a very fun night as boys love skits (especially when they have crazy leaders like Gary.)

The submarine skit!!
This is the first pack meeting that I have attended since being released from Primary.  I had been invited to attend so they could thank me for helping the Cubs.  It was very sad to put on my scout uniform and think that I might not ever have a chance to wear it again (I know I could call the council and volunteer to do Roundtables or something like that, but I am not THAT sad.  Anyway it is the boys that I miss not really wearing the Scout uniform.)  Scouting has been a big part of my adult life through Gary's callings and then having two boys in Scouts and having a chance to do lots of fun things.  For my thank you cheer I chose the BACON cheer (you lay on the floor and act like a piece of bacon cooking on a grill and then flip over and cook on the other side.)  This is one of our Cubmaster's unfavorite cheers but the boys love it.  When I chose it, she said dramatically, "Why did you have to pick bacon/"  A cub piped up, "Because she likes us."  It was so perfect and exactly true.  Boys ages 8-12 are great.  (Not to imply that they aren't great at other ages as well, I just like that age.)

This is the pack and their families trying to arrange
a picture to give to me.  The boys are holding
signs that are the words to a scripture.
They took a picture with a good camera
so I am excited to see the completed framed picture.


Read below.......

Friday and Saturday Gary and I ended up with back to back date nights.  Often we go places and just take Jena but we were invited to friends for a salmon dinner on Friday night (it was amazing.  Scott and Kathy definitely got the cooking talent that I missed out on when they were being passed out in heaven).  and then our stake had a adult dance on Saturday night. 

The theme was Dancing through the Decades and we were supposed to dress up in the decade that we graduated from high school.  I actually had to look it up on the computer because I could only remember mini-skirts and long hair for guys, neither of which were going to work for a Stake dance.  Tye-dyed shirts had a brief comeback during the early 1970's so using my Cub scout skills I made Gary and I matching shirts.  Fine for the dance but we went out to dinner with four other couples before dinner at Olive Garden and we got some comments.  However we weren't nearly as flashy as our neighbors who did the whole hippie thing.  During dinner a man and his little daughter approached her (she was decked in flashing gold shirt with a headband around her forehead, beads hanging down, you can imagine).  The man said that his daughter wanted to talk to her because she was sure she must be a princess because she was so beautiful.  It was so sweet.  We had fun and Gary is a fun person to go to a dance with because he can dance.  (And yes, we are a bit sore today.  We are not quite as young as we were before---go figure!)

And seen on some one's front yard tonight---the thought for the week:


(And just what would you title this post????   Have an awesome week and a great Thanksgiving Day.)

No comments: