Thursday, November 5, 2009

Two Great Days

My sister says that you should post something every 3-4 days so that your "blog watchers" will find things when they check. I am not there yet, but I do think of many things that I would like to write almost every day. I think that perhaps I have some of the Journal "genes" from my foremothers and fathers (the thinking part) but not all of them because I haven't managed to become an actual journal writer yet. Life is filled with so many great things and lessons--easy and hard- surround us every way we turn. I do know change is possible and someday (probably when we can down load directly from our brain.) I will be a journal writer. My two great days: Halloween: Not really my favorite holiday, because I think it is kind of dumb to walk around in the dark and "beg" for candy. Part of it also is because I never liked to dress up mysef or to be scared which pretty much sums up Halloween. However, this Halloween was a great day. Gary's family has a long standing (over 50 years) tradition of having chili and scones on Halloween night so that all of the family can drop in and share their Halloween costumes with grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.....It has divided and sub-divided over the years, but still is a nice tradition. This year four of our five children came (Jessica was at Lagoon with out of town guests). We didn't think that Scott and Tosha were coming because they had work, but they both got off earier and headed over before pursing other activities. I was so happy about that. Jena of course was there. This was her year to not go trick or treating because she is afterall in junior high. We were pleased when Ben headed over (it was at Gary's sister's home in our neighborhood.)to eat some chili. The highlight of the evening came a bit later. While eating, we shared with the family that Ben had won first place in a costume contest at a party. He had gone as Abe Lincoln (He looked great---picture may come later when I learn how to do that.) A little while later, we noticed that Ben was gone which wasn't surprising since groups can be stressful for him. A few minutes later, the doorbell rings and in comes Ben dressed as Abe Linclon, beard and all. It was so great. It is a simple thing, but a huge thing for Ben. And Gary and I have come to learn to cherish the good moments and the happy days for Ben when they come. My second great day was yesterday as we headed up in the mountains for a staff meeting retreat. We first watched a Mormonad on "Create" from Elder Utchdorf (which I would insert here if I knew how). Then we hiked up a muddy trail near Snowbasin Ski resort to a place called Green Pond. (I won't lie..there were a couple of moments that I thought "Don't they know I am over fifty and really can I make it up this hill!" My new boss is 37 and very physically active and every one else is in their late 20's.). We took camp chairs and then had time to read and ponder some quotes, stories, and scriptures that our boss had prepared for us. And we talked. It was a perfect fall day with a slight breeze and beautiful blue sky. The pond had a large beaver dam and the water was perfectly still. It was wonderful and so worth the hike (One lesson learned---the hike really was not bad and so worth it when we reached the top. Jena could easily do it if there was no mud. However, it was me who worried if I could make it. We did not know how long or steep the trail was going to be. Our boss just kept encouraging us to keep going, that it wasn't that far, and that it was so awesome once we got there. Life is just like that.--also insert the word "trial" for "trail" as I accidently did while typing. Once again, isn't life like that. There is always One on the trail calling out that it isn't that much further, we can make, and it is so worth it once we get there.) Coming down the mountain and off to lunch and then on to regular life, I carried a peace and calm that comes from mountain tops and also the Lord's mountain tops (and for me, also ocean waves) that can't be found in other ways. Great days.

1 comment:

Robynn said...

Judy, you are a great writer. Thanks for sharing those tender moments in your busy week. Please hug each of those Halls for me that you see this week. Sure love ya, Rob