Sunday, November 8, 2009

This and That...and is change possible?

It is amazing how much you can get done when there is a deadline set up. Yesterday, I cleaned closets, organized the family and living rooms, gathered the remaining Halloween decorations, scrubbed the porch (berries from a nearby bush make a mess every year--not good planning on my part), hung some curtains at the townhouse, hung two hook racks, and the list continued. With Jena's surgery on Friday, I wanted to get things done on my "to do" list. Of course, some of those things have been sitting on that list for a long time. Any way, it is a great feeling to have some much done...of course, the list still remains with more to do. Planning for a hospital stay is like going on a vacation. It takes longer to get ready than the time that we are actually away. I have been thinking a lot about change. How do we really change from where we are at to a new place? Interesting enough, it does seem that it is time for me to change something (or things). 1-I have been feeling a desire to change some things; 2-Gary's company has a new health program and insurance. As part of that, we are to be involved in programs of our choosing to improve our general health and emotional well-being. It includes readings and goal setting in a variety of areas; 3-General Conference...doesn't that always make you want to change and do better?; 4-As part of our outdoor training last week, our boss has asked us to set goals, professionally and personally; and 5-Our Bishop has asked me to take the Wood Badge Training (Boy Scout) which involves goal setting and achieving. With all of that, I think I need to make a move and figure out what I need to do and how I can really accomplish change? It is easy to make a list of things that I should do to improve my life, but it is in daily living that things get difficult. Exercise is a prime example. I actually love to walk, but in the past few years it has been very difficult to fit it in, esepcially when the early morning time doesn't work with my migraine "profile". Pres. James E. Faust stated: "Each new day that dawns can be a new day for us to begin to change. We can change our environment. We can change our lives by substituting new habits for old. We can mold our character and future by purer thoughts and nobler actions. As someone once put it, “The possibility of change is always there, with its hidden promise of peace, happiness, and a better way of life.” I have often appreciated that life is divided up in 24 hours periods and that a dawm starts each one because it does give a feeling that we can start again to do something different. Now, if I can just figure out how to do it!!!! Ideas...............anyone? (Note to family members: And no, I don't need ideas on what to improve on--I have a list already too long to mention.)

No comments: