Sunday, January 21, 2024

Fanny Collier


Spire of the Bentonville House of the Lord

In the temple, we do the needed ordinances for people who have passed away so that they are qualified for eternal life with God if they so choose.  We know that baptism and other covenants are needed for all people and it is an honor to be involved in this work for family members who had died.

The temple or the House of the Lord is a beautiful place--decorated and organized to be a sacred and holy place filled with remembrances of Christ and our Heavenly Father.  It is a peaceful, joyful place and the Holy Spirit is very accessible there.  It is a bit of Heaven and helps us leave the world behind and think about more holier things.

I give that background to help those who haven't had that experience understand my little story.

Friday morning, I was doing the work for Fanny Collier.  She was born in the 1800s and married into my Ackley line--my dad's adoptive mom's family.  As is my custom, I prayed about her before the session started and immediately I was aware of her and her joy at this day finally happening.  This has happened to me before--but it was still such a sweet gift.  That joy was present throughout the session and even as I left the temple to go to lunch, it stayed.  I realized that I was so glad that we were going back to do sealings because included in our list--were her sealing to her spouse and also to her parents which completed her temple work (except for her children which I now have to find!).  Later when that sealing took place, I started to cry before the sealer even spoke her name because her joy was so full.

I don't know how this all works--what happens in the spirit world and how they know and what they know about what is happening on earth in the middle of their lives in the spirit world--but I testify on Friday, Fanny Collier knew and she was glad!

No comments: