Sunday, June 4, 2023

Home Sweet Home- Ft. Smith Style!

Our duplex is great, bigger than our Salt Lake apartment--with its own pluses and minuses.  It takes a bit to settle into a place with new (to you) furniture, kitchen supplies, and bathroom stuff!  They tell seniors to be prepared to spend around $1000 the first few months to adjust and settle into their mission life. Our first experience was totally different.  I would go to the apartment and then come back to our house in Syracuse and say, I want to take that and that and then we would take it down to Salt Lake and move it in.  I was able to bring some art work, any kitchen thing I wanted except for the ice maker and basically except for a new laundry basket because our old was broken, we didn't buy anything new.  We made lots of trips back and forth and it was a pain to move, but it was easy to make it feel homie.

This time, we only had a carload of stuff we could bring.  I still thought we don't really need to spend $1000...and you don't...but then there are things that seem to be missing that you want to add to make this place a home for you, even if it is only for 18 months.  (And for full disclosure, except for our first and second purchases, Gary would be fine with exactly what we were given.)

Again, one of our first purchases was the important---

ICE MAKER--a sleek blue one this time.  It takes space out of our very limited kitchen counter, but for us, it is well worth it.

Our second home purchase was a garage door opener.  I know that I could do it by hand like the Ritters and the Smiths did before us, you have to get out of the car before it gets in the garage anyway, but it was well worth the money to be able to open and close the door with an opener and we are happy to leave it for the next senior couple who follows us.

Now, some of the personal touches were things that we packed in our car on purpose.  However, this dragon was an unexpected bonus.  I had given this to my dad one year when we lived in Hong Kong (he liked Dungeons and Dragons and fantasy books) and it sat in his office ever since then.  It was one of the items we took to Arizona to split with my siblings.  It had gotten put back into a small storage space in our car and got forgotten, so it unexpectedly made the trip to Arkansas.  I love having it here as it reminds me of my dad.

This pig is from my mom.  She collected pigs and this was one that she hand painted.  It was in our Salt Lake apartment as well.
Photo Gallery of our grandchildren---
More photos on and on top of the fridge
Alex sent us the first art work for our AR fridge

When I was the Relief Society in Walnut Grove Ward, we made these signs--in different colors for the welcome basket for new move ins which was happening a lot at that time.  I love this quote especially during times of transitions.

I don't know about you but I like a rug under my feet when I am standing at the sink.  I actually hoped to get one like my ones in Utah from Wal-Mart.  I have been able to have the same ones about 15 years--just replacing them with the same pattern...but they didn't carry them here anymore.  I like this rug but it doesn't stay in place like the other style.

Two magnet gnomes made by our sweet friends, Cindy and Bret Anderson--a touch of Syracuse friends and a reminder of the fun times that we have had together over the years.

One purchase I decided we needed early after we arrived was a bigger bookshelf to display photos, books, quotes, games, etc.  We had a good place for it.  It took me several visits to the stores and too many hours on the computer until I finally chose this one for $120.00...more than I wanted to spend for a shelf we don't need at home (and couldn't fit in our car).  However, I love it and love having it.  It makes me happy to display the items that I love and to share with those who come to our house.

Shells I have collected on visits to Tosha's house both in Okinawa and Washington.


The red cardinal was one of Gary's mom's.  She loved red cardinals and our kids connect her to them like my mom and pigs.

In my search for a bookshelf on line, I saw these bookends with the tree of life design and knew that I wanted them for the bookshelf.  I love them, too.


For about a month, I kept bouncing the idea around that I wanted to change the sheets and bedspread but it seemed so petty.  I mean I don't think of myself as much of a designer type or super concerned about "material" things.  However, apparently, I am more than I want to be.......the sheets and bedspread were sufficient for the job.  They were clean, soft, and fairly new.  No need to replace them......but the sheets were grey (not one of my favorite colors, especially in a bedroom) and the bedspread did not cover the bed in an even, balanced way.  It was just too short.  And they did not "match" the medium beige walls in the bedroom (and the entire house).

So, Happy Mother's day to me, I gave into "my natural man--woman" and replaced them.  blue and white sheets (which are the colors that we have slept in for at least 40 years) and a bedspread bigger and with colors to match the walls and carpets.


And I LOVE IT.......

I also moved the bed around so that we can look out the window from our bed---not that we are ever laying there during the day or even at sunset....but I like it anyway.

Now there are still a few things "bugging" me.  The bedroom night stands are grey and need a new coat of paint---however, that probably requires more time than I want to or have to devote to something like that. The mantel ended up gathering some important things but they all are in the same colors so it needs to be redone--It includes a quote from the Ritters--"My heart is HAPPY HERE" ( a reminder as they were settling into their mission service), the dragon, our picture of Christ, a scripture quote given to Gary and I when we were married about "For me and my house, we will serve the Lord.", and a wooden display with different cards for the different names of Christ given to us by President and Sister Holmes.--that is a lot of whites, golds, and browns for one mantel especially when the wall is the same color.  I expect that changes will need to be made because it is bugging me.   

I guess I am more of a "nester" and decorator than I thought!  It especially seems lame when I think about our friends who are serving overseas and only could take two or three suitcases with them.

Oh, I can't forget about this picture frame---we love it and love seeing the new pictures our kids add in frequently.

Alex

Gary also uploaded some of our historical photos.
This one with Tiffany and Sherry popped up.
We served together in the Relief Society Presidency
in Walnut Grove

This quote is one of my favorites and go-to ones!

And finally, my $12.00 Wal-Mart wreath because my door had a hook but nothing to hang on it and it looked unfriendly (now I might have to do something about the door mat.)

Now, you have seen a bit more about life as a senior missionary!  Be prepared, you might want a new bedspread, too!!



1 comment:

Robynn said...

I love your Home Sweet Home in Fort Smith. I feel like I've been on a tour of your home. I love your new things and I'm so proud of you for acquiring them. I'd love to see Jena's room too. Love you Missionary Halls! SLY Robynn