Sunday, June 18, 2023

Happy Birthday, Dad and Happy Father's Day!

Today (June 18) is a unique day in that it is both Father's Day and my dad's birthday and the first time I have celebrated either of those days without my dad somewhere on earth.  Not that I have been with my dad for many of those celebrations--I have lived away from him much of my adult life.  But cards, gifts and a phone call were typical of the day.  A couple of times, we even arranged a Zoom get together with family and grandchildren.  We surprised him at the Lubbock Temple once on his birthday weekend and then held a party for his 80th birthday at our home in Syracuse.  Seems like a bit of a "rip off" to have your birthday and Father's day to be so close together--I know that I often didn't send cards for both holidays in the same year. However, my dad said he didn't mind the overlap. I also often waited to call my dad until later in the evening on Father's day or his birthday, so that I could catch up on the news he had gotten while talking to my other siblings. 

The day we opened our mission call with him at the assisted living center where he went for a week after leaving the hospital in late August.

Lim, Zander and Jessica came and visited my dad at his house near the first part of last September

A collection of photos-----

Dad with his first red-headed descendant, Jarom Ipson 

I think this was for a dungeon and dragons game

Family photo taken in Richland

This was the last family reunion shirt when my mom was still alive



Eating watermelon at a reunion with the Owen side of the family

Dad with Todd and I

I think I have mentioned (probably more than once) that I wrote the blog specifically to my dad.  It was a way to share our daily life with him with photos and he loved it!  He would often comment about things that I posted, about the kids, or whatever.  If I was behind, he would send me a reminder that he was missing my posts.  Even how more than 9 months later, I find myself writing to him or wondering what he would think or say about this post or that one.  I assume that he is much too busy to keep up with my blog now--but I hope some days in the eternities, we can catch up!

Dad and Karla

April 2010

Love you, Dad.  Happy Birthday!

No comments: