Sunday, October 30, 2022

Brothers' Weekend

As it became apparent that my dad's health was declining, my siblings began looking at their schedules and figuring out when they could make a visit to see Dad for maybe the last time.  This was a difficult time for me because I didn't want everyone to come the same weekend, but on the other hand, I didn't want to decide who came when because it was so uncertain how long my dad might live.  I wanted them each to decide for themselves and come at the time that make sense for them.

As a result, Scott (my youngest brother) and Todd (the brother just younger than me) both came the weekend of September 17-20.  Scott arrived the morning of the 17th and stayed until Monday afternoon and Todd arrived late on the 17th and stayed until Tuesday afternoon.  Karla told me later that the day before they arrived, Dad told her that he was dying.  She said that she told him he couldn't die that weekend because his sons were coming to visit and he agreed.

Scott stayed at the house with Dad and Karla and Todd stayed with us until Scott left and then spent Monday night with Dad.  I had the privilege of going back and forth and spending time with them and with Dad.  It was great.

Scott spent the night in dad's room and was able to have some brief conversations with him and to also help him get to the bathroom and back which allowed Karla to have a good night's  sleep.

Sunday morning, we went to Music and the Spoken Word together.  It turned out that Todd knew one of the members of the orchestra.  She had lived in Buda many years ago.

Scott and Todd in the Tabernacle....Jena doesn't like the balcony so she and Gary sat down below.  I love being with my siblings.



Todd and Scott spent the afternoon with dad.  They told me that Dad rather talked but seemed to enjoy them being there.  They played chess and other games next to Dad's bed.  If you know my dad, he loves games and probably loved watching them enjoying games together.

That afternoon, Jena and I came and got Todd and Scott and met up with Jessica and Elessia and family at Wheeler Farm.  I appreciated Jessica and Elessia making the trip down to spend time with their uncles while they were in town.  It was a beautiful day at the Farm.

Alex
Ezri

Family photo at the Farm



Old Tractor Fun



Goats are a favorite.

We then headed back to spend some time together with dad and Karla.  Monday, we dropped Todd off at Dad's and said goodbye to Scott.

Some pictures are poor representatives of holy moments--that is what these pictures are to me as I saw Scott and Todd serve our dad in the kindest and sweetest ways.

Scott with Dad---

Todd with Dad on Tuesday, September 20th as he was getting ready to return to Texas.

I love my brothers and I loved the sweet conversations we had as we sat in our dad's room.  Unable to climb stairs for the past few months, Karla and Dad had made a bedroom and sitting room out of his office on the ground level.  This was a holy place as we share time together. It was made holy by the sweet caring that Todd and Scott along with Karla gave to my dad during this time.

Rick and Valerie had visited at the end of August. Mike, Lynette, and Robin were scheduled for the following weeks along with another trip from Valerie with Austin Willcox--a new person in Valerie's life.  Every night as I said my prayers, I thanked Heavenly Father that we were serving in the Utah Salt Lake City Headquarters Mission--where I was close to my dad and Karla and could see my siblings as well.  How great is our Heavenly Father!

No comments: