Sunday, February 9, 2020

February 5th, Again!

Like I commented in the preceding post, February 5th is a tender day for me and my family.  Even in the midst of the loss we feel and felt since our mother's death, we also felt the sacredness of her passing and had sweet experiences during the week right after she died as we connected and remembered her as a family and with her friends at her funeral.  Those moments are also part of my memories of that time.  So while I miss my mom at this time of year, I also remember the spiritual experiences as well and the closeness with my dad and my siblings.

Maybe that is why we started another tender journey on February 5th although we didn't know about it until the following day when we (the siblings) got an email from my dad called HU-Part Two.  HU stands for Health update which he started using after his diagnosis and treatment of significant skin cancer on his face a few years ago.  He had sent one the week before telling us that he had a blood clot in one of his lungs, but that they would start treating that immediately and it should clear.  Part Two update was more significant.  My dad who is 86 years old was diagnosed with congestive heart failure.  This time there is no "rescue" by a heart transplant.  He is too old for that.  And so, it has been a few days of emails back and forth, phone conversations, and emotions as we take this information and move forward.  My dad's first words to me on the phone, "Don't change anything about your mission plans and if they call you to go next month--you go!"  (Did I mention that my dad is also a faithful and devoted servant of the Lord as well?)  He doesn't want any of us to "disrupt our lives, because he doesn't know how long he might live."  On our side, we are grateful to know and maybe have some extra moments and conversations with him because we know that time might be short.  There is no set time frame of course.  He had already been experiences some of the slowness and tiredness of this disorder.  We have been so blessed to have him in our lives these many years.  Very grateful that he found Karla and has been able to have a loving companion through these past 24 years and at this sacred time of his life.  We love her for loving him.

2010--April

With my sisters, Lynette, Valerie, me, Robin
Dad and Karla
My brothers--Scott, Mike, Todd, Rick
We have been talking and texting back and forth this past few days.  So grateful to my siblings and the ability to connect and share as we move forward.

On a bright note, my dad has identified three out of the four things to complete on his bucket list--wanting to know how the elections turn out; watching April Conference 2020; and printing 11 games for his game company.  (He hasn't disclosed the final one.)  That should keep him busy for awhile.

So grateful to know that families are together forever!  It doesn't take away grief and sadness, but it adds the brightness of hope which is what we need in this earthly life.

And sorry, dad, I think there will be some disruption of our lives over the next bit, but only in all of the best ways of loving, caring, sharing, and saying again and again, how we love you and are so glad that we are your children.  Thank you, thank you, for picking the gospel and then picking mom.  I couldn't have asked for anything better, even though "I was the practice child."



No comments: