Sunday, June 2, 2019

Fathers

I know it isn't yet Father's Day nor is it my dad's birthday although that is also coming up mid-June, however, I have this great picture (of a picture) of my dad that I wanted to put in the blog.

Early last week, my sister, Valerie, texted me and reminded me that they (Valerie and Lance and several of their children and grandchildren) were coming to Utah this weekend to celebrate her husband's mother's 80th birthday and invited us to join them for dinner and a visit with Dad where they were staying Friday night.  We agreed so Friday evening we headed down and joined several of them at the Chuck-a-Rama for dinner and then headed to my dad's.

Because of limited parking at my dad's, we had parked at the clubhouse and walked the remaining distance to his house.  My sister and other family members were there outside, getting luggage, and greeting my dad who was outside helping them. As my dad saw us, I could tell that he was surprised to see us (I hadn't talked to my dad, just assumed that Valerie would mention I was coming.) and even though I had just seen him the week before, he was so delighted to see me (and Gary and Jena, too.)  I felt so strongly his love for me at that moment.  What a gift that is! 

Then inside, Karla had rearranged family photos and one of them was this one of my dad.  I had never seen it before but loved it immediately, so Karla pulled it out of the frame so I could take a photo of it.  It was taken on one of their trips to Ireland--just a quiet moment reading a book (with his shoes on.  My dad always wears shoes--unlike me and my mother.)

Some people played games, others talked, we all had snacks that Karla had made for us.  It was a great night that I will always remember because my dad was happy to see me.

Here is the only picture I took of that night.  This is dad and Karla with my niece, Landi, and her two "brand-new daughters"  Evie and Eileen.  (Landi and her husband Lance just adopted four children they have been fostering for some time.)  This is the first time we met Eileen, but Evie came to the family reunion last year.

Family and friends are the sweetness of this mortal life!  And fathers, too!

No comments: