Sunday, June 16, 2019

"Bird" Walk on the Boardwalk

Emily and Jena in the parking lot
with the mountains to the east in the back
Tuesday morning  (June 4), Jena and I picked up Emily Ehlen and headed off to a 1.5 walk around the bird refuge in west Layton.  We have done this a few times and it was another great little hike.

Our selfie attempt
 And off they go.....I think the boardwalk is about 1 mile, but as I wanted to get closer to 2 miles in, I walked back and forth behind them to get some extra steps in. 
We did hear several different types of birds and saw a few of them as well.  We made friends with a large bee/wasp who stayed with us for several minutes before finally wandering off.  I guess Jena and Emily are just too sweet.
You can tell summer is coming as the marsh parts are still green but the grasslands are turning brown already.
View from the structure halfway around the boardwalk
Jena and Emily said that they didn't want to climb up so I went to the top a couple of times and then they decided to head up as well.  Jena is not fond of heights so I was proud of her.
Emily brought us a muffin to share so they had a little picnic on the mid-level of the structure.






It was a fun way to get some exercise and be in nature.  We plan to do it frequently this summer to keep us all in good "walking" shape--me for our trip in the fall and Jena for BYU.




No comments: