Sunday, March 24, 2019

Two More Quilts Finally Done!!

Technically, Carter's quilt has been done for a while, but since Carter and Alex arrived into the world on the same day, I felt like their quilts should be delivered on the same day.  Last Tuesday at Liam's soccer game, I was ready to hand them off.


Carter"s quilt is called "Around the Block" and I made it all with polka-dot fabrics.  I saw this pattern a few years ago and decided that the next little granddaughter would have this design with polka-dots.  Some of the fabrics were from other quilts of her brothers'.  I love the dots from the Eric Carle book "A Very Hungry Caterpillar" because Jessica loved that book when she was little.  I backed it in yellow polka-dots because yellow is one of my favorite colors and was also my mom's favorite color.


As soon as I knew there were twins on the way, I asked Jessica's permission to not do identical blankets for them.  Jessica and Elessia were glad about that as they wanted their daughters to feel unique both as individuals and as twins.  So I designed their quilts when they were Baby A (Carter) and Baby B (Alex). 

So it became polka-dots for Carter and "Stripe Quilt" for Alex.  I am not sure what the real name is, but I had some much fun determining the fabrics for her quilt.  When I first saw the flowered print I used for the backing, I fell in love with it, but it was definitely not a "baby or even child" print at all.  I texted Jessica and Elessia and said, "If you want something 'baby-like", let me know or I am buying this amazing fabric in the next 20 minutes."  Jessica replied that I could do what I wanted, so off I went.  And here is the result:

There are Micky Mouse ears, lady bugs, flowers, dots, math and numbers, bright colors, and the same dots from Eric Carle's book.  I love it, too.


Don't you love the flowers--the colors and the designs!

I don't think my grandchildren will quite understand how much I love making their quilts for them, even if they aren't done when they arrived in this world.  Where ever they are and where ever I am, I want them to know that I love them as a unique and amazing people and I am in their corner.

Love you, Carter and Alex and so glad to have you in our family.

1 comment:

Robynn said...

What lucky little ladies to receive quilts from you. Well done, for someone who says they are not a sewer, you are AMAZING!!!!! Love, Rob