Sunday, February 21, 2016

And back to Pack Meetings.......

I can remember talking to my friend, Robynn Thiot, years ago and making a plan to do a cub scout den in an inner-city school in Plano when "we were old".  That is a little hard to accomplish since I am in Utah and she is still in Texas, but I get to be involved in Cub Scouts again "when I am old".  As the Pack Committee Chair, one of my jobs is to help make Pack Meeting fun.

First job:  Organize and put on the Blue and Gold Banquet!

Here is our invitation but missing the cute border and the two clip art cub scouts.  As our ward is new and this was the third pack meeting that they have had, we decided to have a casual picnic in the park theme and play some getting to know you games with the group.

Welcome, Pack 830!
You are invited to the 1st Annual

“Blue and Gold Banquet Picnic”
“GETTING TO KNOW ALL ABOUT YOU”
Thursday, February 18, 2016
6:30-8:00 PM  at our Church
FOR ALL CUBS SCOUTS AND THEIR PARENTS(including boys turning 8 in 2016)


Dinner will be served. Bring a blanket or camp chairs to sit on.

Unfortunately, I have my internship on Thursdays and that Thursday I was in Spanish Fork for a policy meeting so I couldn't leave early.  Instead, I gather everything together that I could and made a map with where I wanted everything.  Then Thursday afternoon Gary and some of the Cub leaders met and decorated for me.  That was weird not to be there but they did a great job.  It will be that way for two more months as we continue to have policy meetings on that Thursday.  Oh, well.

Getting ready for the Pack meeting to start
Flag ceremony to start our first Blue and Gold
We had each of the boys and the leaders make a poster to tell about themselves.
They turned out great and the boys loved showing their friends
the cool stuff on their posters.
We had French dip sandwiches, chips, carrots and green salad
AND root beer floats which were a big hit!
During our picnic, we had the boys stand on a stand in the middle of the "park" and had their parents introduce themselves and their scout.  They were instructed to say "This is _________ and one way he is awesome is ______________."  Most parents couldn't confine themselves to one thing.  It was so cute to see them talk about their son and the boys's were so cute--a mix of being proud and being embarrassed.  Since this is my first activity with the boys, I learned lots about them--if only I can keep it all straight!

After a skit and the awards, we divided into groups and did three game stations.  The den leaders were in charge of these and they were great.
Webelos:  I have never seen this before.  They divided into two teams and we given one half of a very long
Pixie stick.  On the count of three, they had to all eat the pixie stuff.  Then the entire team was done, then the leaders cut off the other end of the stick and they were to rush over, load it with beans and try to know over the tower of cups by blowing the beans.  I don't like pixie sticks and I can't imagine eating it quickly and then trying to blow beans.
It was a big hit and the boys loved it, especially because their parents were trying as hard as they are.
Wolves:  They tossed "Sponge Bob-Square pants" around the circle and first practiced each other's names.
Then they learned some of their interests and talents.
Bears:  They did "Minute to Win It" games
which are perfect for cub scouts and their parents.
We started at 6:32 and ended at 8:05 and had food and fun.  I think it was a success.  Another great thing was all of the cub leaders were highly involved and clean-up was done in less than 30 minutes.

Next month:  PINEWOOD DERBY   (luckily, I have a perfect source for that!)

No comments: