Saturday, April 12, 2014

The beginnings of March

Isn't there a statement--"Beware the Ides of March...."  I don't know what "ides" means for sure, but I think it is a warning of some kind.  Even when I was preparing my talk for New Beginnings I was feeling the beginnings of a sore throat.  Although many people in our area were dealing with colds and flu I wasn't really too concerned as I had a flu shot and I haven't had a cold in several years.  Apparently I should have been knocking on wood as that sore throat came and went for a week or so--though the Family Links Conference on Feb. 28 and Mar. 1 for families and professionals dealing with people with disabilities which I presented a seminar, facilitated another one and ran our information table as well.  It was fun but not much voice left at the end of the day though our anniversary which we "celebrated" our 36th year anniversary on March 3 with me sleeping most of the day and through the next five weeks.  Just now (it is April 7th) I am starting to feel fairly normal although still much more tired than normal.

Good Highlights of the month:

Feb. 28-March 1--Family Links Conference which is a combined conference for parents of children with disabilities.  We ran a couple of classes as well as an informational booth during Saturday.

 March 3- we celebrate our anniversary with me sleeping most of the day in an token attempt to shorten my cold.  We have been married 36 years which has been incredible.  I feel so lucky to have Gary in my life and the support that he is to me as a person.

 March 3 was also the day of my interview as part of my application to Utah State University's social work program.  They organized them as group interviews.  They were held in Salt Lake.  Of course the other 3 women were all in their 20s so I was literally old enough to be their mother.  A group interview is a different type of experience.  They asked each of us the same question just going down the row.  One of the questions was: "How do you plan to use this degree upon completion of school?"  The other three all had specific fields they wanted to pursue but all I could say was that I planned to become licensed but other than that I really didn't know what part of social work I wanted to be involved in.   Here I am almost 59 and I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.  Oh, well.
March 7th--we held our Walnut Grove Emergency Preparation Dinner and Game night.  (see other post).

March 8th (which was the Saturday I had been waiting for all year as my sleep-in Saturday after a busy two months) instead became a trip down to attend the funeral of the father of one of my dear friends.  I had met her parents a number of times but it was such a privilege to be there and share that special time with my friend and her family.  Listening to her siblings and her share stories and feelings about her dad caused me to feel a debt to him (and her mother too) for the impact they had in raising their daughter who has been an important part of my life.  Then I realized that I really feel that way about the parents of all my friends......and then I finally started counting the blessings of my own parents.  I was so lucky to be the oldest daughter of Richard and Eileen Giberson.  So much of who I am comes from their teaching and loving.  It was a sweet day with lots of memories especially as I drove home from Mapleton just remembering my mom and dad.    Then I slept for two days.....with almost no voice.

March 14th:   I got my letter with my acceptance to Utah State. Yeah!!!

Trust me it says I got in.




I actually got an email a week earlier
congratulating me but I somehow missed
it in my inbox.
.


March 15--Winter Games for skiing  (see separate post)

UDSF stuff continues during the month with a Military Special Needs Fair, meetings and interviews.  We are getting ready for some fun events in the upcoming months so there were lots of details to take care of and to plan for.

March 18:  Exciting news for Jena.  (see other post  :)  )

March 22:  Medical Corp Training  As part of our CERT training last year, we were also trained to be volunteers for the Medical Corp of our county in case of pandemics or other health emergencies.  We do non medical things like organize shot clinics or pass out information.  This training was a state wide training and it was excellent.  We talked a lot about disasters of course and were trained in some new aspects.  I was really glad that I went.

I missed the last speaker who I heard was the best of the day as I hurried back to attend a bowling party with Gary and Jena and the other families and instructors at Snowbasin Adaptive sports.  We like bowling and Jena enjoyed hanging out with the other teenagers there. 

March 24:  We went and saw Les Miserabe (however you spell that).  We loved it and later on the road trip Jena immediately recognize one of the songs from the play when I was playing a new Broadway collection CD.  The music is very remarkable and memorable.

March 25-April 1:  Jena and I went on a road trip to Amarillo where we visited my sisters and then to Oklahoma where we spent four days with Tosha and Austen and then drove back.  It was a great trip and it was great to get home.  (more details in another post).

We are off to do a Pinewood Derby--one of four this month.  More later.

 

No comments: