Sunday, March 13, 2011

I love the theater...

Have I mentioned that before. In the middle of a busy week, I went to two plays: "Tale of Two Cities" with Gary, Gary's mom, Jena, Meggan and I at the Hale Theater in Salt Lake and "The Drowsy Chaperone" with Jena, her friend, Kaitlyn and her mom, Debbie, at Layton High School. Both were excellent. The singing at the Hale Theater was amazing and the high school production was wonderful.

As someone once said, there is something magical about sitting in a darken theater with a group of mostly strangers waiting for the curtains to open and take you to a far away spot together. (taken from the narrator in the "Drowsy Chaperone").

Other than Church productions which were very common in the 60s when I was growing up, the first play I actually saw in person was a production of "Man of LeMancha" put on by the Richland (Washington) Community theater. I went with my mom and dad when I was 13 or so. I got to go, I think, because my geometery teacher played the part of Santos (I think that was his name.) I loved it. I also remembered being so surprised that my teacher could act and sing. He was a great math teacher, but that is not the same skill set as being an actor.

Advice: Go see a play in your area this week.

2 comments:

Valerie Ipson said...

I love plays, too, but haven't seen near all that I would like to.

Judy said...

Isn't it like reading a book or traveling to new places....there is always more to read, see, and visit.....