Sunday, September 17, 2023

Regional YSA Family Home Evening Devotional

In preparation for the temple dedication on Sunday (today--the first session is happening even as I am typing), Elder and Sister Ellis organized a fireside with a member of the temple presidency--President Sederholm--who serves as the first counselor.  He did a great job, sharing about his courtship and marriage to his wife in the Manti Temple and then talking about the importance of temples.  He allowed time for some questions and answers.  Two things I remember from that section:
1.  The question was asked, "Was there any barriers or opposition to the temple being built here?"  His reply'' "Other than Covid, not really.  The Church members here have such a positive reputation in the area that the building permits and everything went smoothly with 100% support from the city."
2.  A convert who joined the Church in July asked, "Is it common as members of the Church to feel so connected to a temple--for me I just love the Bentonville Temple so much.  Is that just a convert thing?"  Elder Sederholm and all of us could answer that question. His reply was "The Manti Temple has always been that for me because that is where I married my wife--the best thing in my life. However, I am guessing that as I serve in the Bentonville Temple, it will reach that same level of connection to me as Manti. We will see."

Most of us are attached to a temple or two....or many.  Temples are unique places and also holy places and they can bring out the very best in ourselves.  We love them for that!

Afterwards, we had a cake with cream cheese frosting.  I had spent my afternoon making ours and figuring out how to transport the individual parts to Bentonville (about 90 minutes away) and keep them cold.  We managed and the desserts were great.

Sister Cowley who is now serving in Carthage, MO YSA was there so we were able to get one last photo with her before she goes home next month. 


We got an evening photo of the temple which shares the same parking lot with the stake center we met at.  I now have an evening photo as my screen saver on my locked screen.

How blessed we are to have temples on the earth!
 

No comments: