Sunday, September 3, 2023

Good Bye, Sweet Bev!

Since we now have p-day (or the young missionaries do) on Wednesday, we hold our District meetings on Monday.  It is a bit of a change in the routine of the week.  For some reason during District meeting, my phone vibrated instead of being on silent and I used a transition time to check my message from Bishop Allen in our home ward.  He was sending me a link to the funeral for Bev Scovel which was set to start in less than an hour.  I was so grateful for the link because they had not announced beforehand that they would be broadcasting the funeral.  I slipped out right at noon and tried to join on my phone.  Gary and Jena followed a few minutes later with the laptop which worked better and we were able to watch it from there.  Gary grabbed a TV and so we could all watch in comfort in the Mother's room.


We got the TV set up right when Kaye Volk began to speak.  She is another amazing lady in our neighborhood.  It was good to share this moment with Herb, their family, my friends and our ward members even if we are far away. So grateful for the technology that makes such things possible.

And that white casket and those tiny pink roses are perfect for Bev.  She was that type of lady!

Us in the Mother's lounge--


My life was better because of knowing Bev.  It will be my pleasure to continue that friendship forever. Grateful for the knowledge that life is eternal and that these relationships will continue in the future.

Bev and Herb have been our neighbors since we moved to Syracuse.  They live two doors west of us.  They had raised their family in Bountiful but as they both retired, they built a new house in Syracuse about 6 months before we did. They are warm and delightful people and we have loved knowing them over the years.  They loved our kids and would frequently ask about them when we spoke.  They loved it when the grandkids came treat n treating so that they could see Jessica and Scott (back when they lived here) as well.

Bev served with me in a Relief Society presidency and it was a sweet thing to work together in that calling.  She and I shared many interests such as reading, traveling, and the theatre.  They have three children, their youngest is adopted so that was another connection we had.  They are the "good" people of the world--looking for ways to lift others and to help out.  Even though they are 25 years older than us, they made us and others their friends and for many years, Gary had to race Herb out to snowblow our sidewalks or he would do it for us.

Bev and Herb have been declining in health over the past few years.  When I saw her last, we both knew it was likely that last time.  I am so grateful for that last hug in March--it lasted just a bit longer than normal and we both had tears in our eyes as we said goodbye. Friendship is such a gift and I was glad to be her friend.

Now no more dying, Barber Acres Ward and Walnut Grove neighborhood...until we get home!  [And even then, I am not really giving my permission...  :)  ]


No comments: