Sunday, August 13, 2023

"Praying For Wind" (Spiritual Thought at the Ft. Smith YSA Activity- August 11)

I was asked to give a spiritual message for the beginning of the activity on Friday night.  Being from Richland, Washington and Amarillo, Texas--I don't think I have ever prayed for wind--but I loved this story by Elder John Groberg and it fit perfectly with our Aloha theme and the scripture I was given- Philippians 4:13.  I had to shorten this beautiful story which Elder Groberg gave in a conference address in October of 1993.  I encourage you to look it up and read the story within this conference address.  He is a story teller and the words he uses are perfect. (Some of his experiences were shared in the movie, "The Other Side of Heaven.")  Reading the story took about 10 minutes and I only had 4 or 5.....so I had to adjust.

Praying For Wind

The Apostle Paul said, “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me” (Phil. 4:13)

 

Elder John Groberg in a 1993 Conference address stated:  “It takes deep and abiding faith in Christ to endure faithfully to the end of our mortal lives. Sometimes we pray for the strength to endure yet resist the very things that would give us that strength. Too often we seek the easy way, forgetting that strength comes from overcoming things that require us to put forth more effort than we normally would be inclined to do.”

 

I know that I can be guilty of that—hoping for the easy way to the end of a particular trial.  Elder Groberg goes on to share a story about an experience he had as a young missionary in Tonga.  In the interest of time, I will retell parts and share excepts from the story—

 

Elder Groberg served in Tonga in the 1950s. He was assigned to a group of 17 islands and the only transportation between them was by sailboat.  There was a family on another island who wanted to hear the gospel and he was told  to meet them at sunset in a particular harbor on another island the next day.  He didn’t have a companion but found 4 older members and experienced sailors who said they would sail him to the agreed spot the next day.

 

They left the next morning and made good time toward the neighboring island until about mid-day when the wind died down and then stopped.

 

Time passed.  The five of them prayed for more wind.  Three different times in three different patterns they prayed together and individually for the wind to return.  Elder Groberg said that he couldn’t believe that the Lord didn’t send them wind so they could make it to the appointment.

 

Elder Groberg said “As I was so wondering, I noticed this faithful older brother move to the rear of the boat. I watched as he unlashed the tiny lifeboat, placed two oars with pins in their places, and carefully lowered it over the side.

He looked at me and softly said, “Get in.”

I answered, “What are you doing? There is hardly room for two people in that tiny thing!”

“Don’t waste any time or effort. Just get in. I am going to row you to shore, and we need to leave now to make it by sundown.”

….., “Row me where?

“To the family that wants to hear the gospel. We have an assignment from the Lord. Get in.”

I was dumbfounded. It was miles to shore. The sun was hot, and this man was old. But as I looked into the face of that faithful brother, I sensed an intensity in his gaze, an iron will in his very being, and a fixed determination in his voice as he said, “Before the sun sets this day, you will be teaching the gospel and bearing testimony to a family who wants to listen.”

Over Elder Groberg’s objections, they got in this small lifeboat and the old man began rowing and working and rowing….

Elder Groberg continues: “The old man concentrated his efforts and energy on fulfilling the calling he had from the Lord—to get a missionary to a family that wanted to hear the gospel. He was the Lord’s wind that day.” And they made it and a family was waiting to be taught….

“I waded ashore, met the family….. and taught them the gospel. As I bore testimony of the power of God in this church, my mind saw an old Tongan man rowing to a distant harbor and waiting patiently there. I testified with a fervor as great as any I have ever felt that God does give power to men and women to do His will if they will have faith in Him. When our hearts are determined to do right, the Lord gives us the power to do so.”

The family believed and eventually was baptized.”

In the annals of history, few will be aware of this small incident. Hardly anyone will know about this insignificant island, the family who waited, or the obscure, old man who never once complained…. He referred only to the privilege of being God’s agent in bringing a missionary to teach the truth to those who desired to hear. But God knows! He gave him the strength to be His wind that day, and He will give us the strength to be His wind when necessary.

How often do we not do more because we pray for wind and none comes? We pray for good things and they don’t seem to happen, so we sit and wait and do no more. We should always pray for help, but we should always listen for inspiration and impressions to proceed in ways different from those we may have thought of. On the boat, five men prayed, but only one heard and acted. God does hear our prayers. God knows more than we do…We should never stop moving because we think our way is barred…...”

Elder Groberg said that he would never forget that old man.  I hope we don’t either.  I hope his example will remind us that God hears our prayers but sometimes he doesn’t send wind we prayed for—He puts us in a rowboat rowing for hours in the heat….but He will always be there to strengthen us to accomplish His purposes and the righteous desires of our hearts as we pray AND act in faith in Jesus Christ..

-------------
I don't know about anyone else --although people there seemed to like it--but I won't forget that old man.  I sometimes pray for and want wind---and don't look for the solutions being sent to me.  I learned the lesson with infertility, but I find that I learn it and relearn it over and over again over the course of my life.  Thank heavens that God, Christ, and the Holy Ghost are patient teachers.

And I am so grateful for the pushes and tugs that led me to find this story last week as I was searching for the right message for our sweet young adults as many start a new school year, new jobs, or prepare to leave on their missions.  This is not me--but a tender mercy and blessing from the Holy Ghost.

And for the record--Gary and I are tied again--5 to 5 on talks given.

No comments: