Sunday, November 14, 2021

Owen Cousin Zoom Reunion

My Owen side gathered on Zoom last Sunday evening and enjoyed talking and sharing memories and catching up.  It was so nice to see their faces again.  One thing we did was put together a PowerPoint of old pictures.  Here are a few that we shared along with some notes for future generations.

These are my grandparents--Olevia and Robert "Ves" Owen, my mom's parents.  My grandfather died in 1959 and my grandmother died in 1979.  They had four children--My Uncle Bob, my Aunt Lois, and Uncle Gene Franklin who died as an infant.  My mom was the baby.
So far, this picture below is one of the last "group" shots we have of all of the cousins.  It was taken in 1966.  Surely there must be a later one, but we haven't found it yet.  So this does not include my youngest two brothers and one of my youngest cousins in the Gibson family.  We moved in 1971 to Texas which dramatically cut down our yearly visits with our Oregon cousins.

I will put in the names for future generations:
Back row:  Lois, my mom, Virginia, Ed, Bob, me in the wild glasses, my dad, Grant, Ruth
Middle Row: April being held by Thelma, Renee, Mike, Todd, Becky, Grandma, Robin
Front: Leith, Lynette, Lura, Dan, Valerie, Evan
Missing:  Marilois and Margaret
Not born yet:  Rick and Scott and Michelle


This may be one of the last pictures of my grandmother with her three living children. It may have been taken in 1973 when my family made a trip back to Oregon/Washington (I didn't go because I was working to save money to go to college at BYU in the fall.)

my mom, Bob, Lois with grandma sitting

Portland/Hillsboro/the Oregon Coast will always be treasured places in my heart because of all of the shared memories with my grandparents and cousins.

A random note:  During a Zoom meeting with Allan's two children who live in Oregon, Heidi mentioned that her oldest daughter went off to college this year--to Linfield in McMinnville, OR.  I, of course to her surprise, recognized it because that is where my mom went to her first year of college before going to BYU.  She said, "That makes me happy to know your mom went there. It was hard to leave her."  Small worlds which collide from time to time.
 

No comments: