Sunday, October 18, 2020

The Funeral

I am not even sure how you document an event of a funeral of someone that you loved.  

There are the facts:

Viewing from 9:00-10:30 where family and friends came in masks and social distancing to pay their respects and share their love and concern for us and for our loss.  So many of the old Syracuse people came as Holly (and Wayne) were part of them having made their home here since 1959.

There were so many beautiful flower arrangements---


The video was great.  I happened to catch the photo of Holly with her niece, Diana, taken during our trip to Paris almost exactly a year ago.  It happened that they were also in Paris for the same Friday and their hotel was close enough that they could walk over.  We had a great visit.

These are photos of her funeral program.  I think she would love this photo which Charon and Mike found among their photos.  They had to photo shop it a bit because it was a photo with other people.

The back--
The inside had the Nauvoo Temple as the backdrop.  They were serving in the Nauvoo Mission when the temple was announced and Dad Hall was one of the few missionaries that got to work on the site removing stones and trees.



Her favorite flower was the tulip but she also loved roses.

From the Baker cousins--
This is a close-up of the banner on her flowers on the casket.  This was Vonette's idea and I loved it.

10:30-11:00 was the family time.  Sweet moment when all five Page brothers who have already lost their mom stood together around the casket as they said goodbye to their grandmother.  Another moment when Gary and his sisters gather together just before the shutting of the casket.  These are sweet moments not to be forgotten.

11:00- just after 12:00 the actual funeral-

Charon and Vonette read the obituary and shared their thoughts and feelings.

I shared the grandchildren's memories

Then a dear friend, Randy Gailey, sang "Lara's Theme: Somewhere My Love"-- something requested by Holly

Gary spoke and shared thoughts and memories from the extended family and also a sweet note he found in his mother's scriptures:

Bishop Hein spoke a few words and that part was done.

The graveside dedication was done at the Syracuse Cemetery, the place that someday Gary and I will also be buried in a small family area.












The emotions and thoughts during this time are the tender ones that come when you love and were loved by someone else.  Gary's mom was not like me, but she loved me and accepted me from the very beginning. There is something holy about the passing of someone and I think that I could attend the funeral of a complete stranger and still leave being touched by something or someone.  I think those who attended Holly's funeral felt their own tender feelings and had their own memories of her and other loved ones fill their hearts as well.  That is the outcome of a life well lived.

Because of the Covid pandemic, the Church was not available for the traditional family dinner.  However, we wanted to have an opportunity to gather with each other and with other family that came in town for the funeral.  So it was decided that we would have an outdoor picnic in Holly's backyard.  We loved this backyard and have had many family gatherings there.  Once we thought of it, we knew it was exactly right to gather there one last time as a family.

Vonette and Charon did all of the work to arrange for Subway sandwiches and soup and desserts from Kneaders--our traditional meal for the Christmas party--and shared it with the extended family. They also set up everything on Thursday with the help of the Page boys and Scott.


There was a pumpkin for every great grandchild who wanted one after they were done serving as centerpieces for the family dinner.

I actually didn't attend the family dinner, but Gary and everyone else said that it was perfect.  Food was good and the conversations were better.

I left the gravesite services and headed home to change and returned back to the ER.  When I turned on my radio--this was the song that was just starting to play--

It Is Well With My Soul--

When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say
It is well, it is well, with my soul
It is well
With my soul
It is well, it is well with my soul
Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul
It is well (it is well)
With my soul (with my soul)
It is well, it is well with my soul
My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, o my soul
It is well (it is well)
With my soul (with my soul)
It is well, it is well with my soul
It is well (it is well)
With my soul (with my soul)
It is well, it is well with my soul

And I cried some more, because truly-- It is well with my soul even this day as I left a funeral and went to an ER--my soul had peace and all was well!  Another tiny mercy and I was trying to notice them all.

No comments: