Sunday, January 26, 2020

Self Care- Revisted

As I have referred to in the past, as part of my social work training, we had to identify a self-care plan to help us manage the work of being a social worker.  As part of that, I bought a plant and kept it in my office at The Children's Center.  My idea was that the plant would serve as a reminder to me to take care of myself so I could do my work well.  I had identified several activities that I needed to do and the plant was just a visual reminder.  I do not have a great history with plants so I was a bit nervous how well this would work--what would happen if my self-care plant died??!!

Anyway, my plant did fine at The Children's Center, especially after moving to my south facing office during my last two years there.

Here is a photo from that office window last year--


I worried as I brought it home last May if I had a window with the right amount of sun to make this plant happy and to continue to remind me to watch myself and take care of myself.  A couple of weeks ago, I look at my plant (sitting on the edge of my tub) and thought for the first time in a long time--Look how much this plant has grown and how happy it is to be right where it is.  Just like me, as much as I loved working at The Children's Center, it has been good to be home much of the time (well, maybe not actually AT home, but you know what I mean) and be able to do other stuff that I love.  I am happy and so is my self-care plant!
Ben's plant which I have taken care of for about four years is also doing great since moving it down by this window.
And my orchid which had already bloomed twice in my window at TCC--just started blooming again for the third time!  Never in my limited experiences with orchids have I ever had that happen.
Life is good---but can I take my plants on my mission???

No comments: