Sunday, November 24, 2019

-----THE JONAS BROTHERS----

You read it right, Jena and I joined about 18,000 other people (mostly young women between the ages of 18-28) to watch the Jonas Brothers Happiness Tour on October 3!  Jena was so excited.  We had bought her a tour t-shirt (thank heavens for the internet.) and she was telling everyone that she was going to see the Jonas Brothers in concert.  Jena was a big fan of the Jonas Brothers when they were on Disney so to see them in concert was a dream come true.

It was a simple plan.  I was going to take the train down to Salt Lake and then catch Jena on her train coming up from Provo.  I would arrive about 20 minutes before Jena's train was expected in the Central Station and that way we didn't have to worry about parking or anything.  That was a great plan until problems caused our train to stop twice for long periods of time making our train about 25 minutes late arriving into the station.  I was a mess trying to figure out alternatives which I would be okay with and still allow us to get to the concert on time.  Thank heavens for cell phones so that I could talk with Jena and her teacher, Vicki, who was traveling in the train with them.  Fortunately, because our train was so late, the north bound trains were slowed down and I made it about 4 minutes before Jena's train.  Next time, I will shoot to arrive an hour beforehand--that was a stressful way to start off our evening.

We connected, had a great dinner, and headed to the concert.

We got there early to avoid the crowds---
Jena did not stop smiling the whole night.
It has been a while (make that a very long time) since I had been to a concert like this.  I forgot to tell Jena about the "warm-up" act which would come first.  And actually, they had two warm-up acts--Jordan McGraw and Bebe Rexha.  I didn't know either of them, but Jena seemed to know some of their songs.  In between those two acts and before and after, they played DJ music and videos on the screens--about 20 minutes each. So, the concert, which started at 7:30, was still in warming up phase at 9:00.  I thought we would be done by 9:30 at the latest.  Gary had offered to pick us up after the concert so that we didn't have to wait a long time for the train and I had told him to come at 9:30.  Fortunately he was smarter than me and looked up the concert information on the internet and was telling me what to expect.  Many people in the seats around us didn't even arrive at the concert until after 8:30.  I guess they are more familiar with the whole warm up acts than me.
But I have to say, as impatient as I felt for the long warm up acts and the long breaks in-between, the Jonas Brothers did a great concert.  It had all of the lights, fireworks, media, and music that you expect from concerts and it was warm and personable as well.



They moved from the big stage to a smaller one directly down from us and did a more casual informal song numbers.
Kevin played a classic piece on the grand piano (which was lowered from the ceiling) while Nick sang.  It was my favorite number and one of Jena's as well.

I think the concert got over around 10:30 or so.  I was so glad that Gary was there to pick us up and drive us home.  We were happy but so tired so it was good to head home without waiting for a train.

I asked Jena the next day if her cheeks hurt from smiling so much, but she just laughed.  It is fun to share something with someone who is so delighted by the event or activity.

Happy birthday, family for 2019! 

No comments: