Sunday, April 7, 2019

BYU Show Choir Spring Concert

After the normal business of the weekend, we (Gary, Jena, Emily-Jena's roommate and I) stayed and watched "Chitty Chitty Bang-Bang" at Centerpoint Theatre and then headed down to BYU for Jena and Emily's concert.  We so appreciate the volunteers--BYU students--from YServe who make this such a great experience for Jena and all of those with cognitive disabilities.

As we were sitting and waiting for it to start, Gary commented, "When I was a student, all I was thinking was about myself.  Not looking for something more to do."  I agreed.  It was amazing to watch the students with Jena and the other choir members.  The love that they shared with each other was visible to all of us in the audience.  Perhaps they started to volunteer to look good on some application or to impress someone of the opposite sex, but those who stayed to the end did so because they had connections--they allowed themselves to serve and as a result they were filled in the process.


It is hard to get good pictures of a large group of people singing and dancing, but here they are.  They sang and danced to songs from Disney (which can already be tear-jerkers).
 Each BYU student is matched with a choir member with a cognitive disability and the dancing is done mostly in those pairs with some group movements.  And everyone SINGS!

Doing their Show Choir Cheer at the end of the concert!
Jena with her two partners.............

And so many friends came to support them:  Hannah Price, Jena's roommate the first year of Wonderwood at BYU
Hugs everywhere with BYU students who volunteer with Wonderwood who came to support Jena, Emily, Sara, and Megan at the concert.
This is Annie, who started the Show Choir a year ago.  She is graduating, but other students have already came forward to take the lead for next year.


How lucky Jena is to have her live filled with these amazing young adults!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

The words to their final song seem very appropriate for them and for all of us:
(Taken from Disney's Hercules)

I have often dreamed of a far off place
Where a hero's welcome would be waiting for me
Where the crowds would cheer, when they see my face
And a voice keeps saying this is where I'm meant to be
I'll be there someday, I can go the distance
I will find my way if I can be strong
I know every mile would be worth my while
When I go the distance, I'll be right where I belong
Down an unknown road to embrace my fate
Though that road may wander, it will lead me to you
And a thousand years would be worth the wait
It might take a lifetime but somehow I'll see it through
And I won't look back, I can go the distance
And I'll stay on track, no I won't accept defeat
It's an uphill slope
But I won't loose hope, 'till I go the distance
And my journey is complete, oh yeah
But to look beyond the glory is the hardest part
For a hero's strength is measured by his heart, oh
Like a shooting star, I will go the distance
I will search the world, I will face its harms
I don't care how far, I can go the distance
'Till I find my hero's welcome waiting in your arms
I will search the world, I will face its harms
'Till I find my hero's welcome waiting in your arms
There is no question in my mind that Jena will go the distance and will find Our Heavenly Father's embrace and her hero's welcome.  It is not always easy for her and many of her desires may not be possible in this life--as is true for all of us.  We can all "go the distance" though, because the plan is perfect.

No comments: