Sunday, May 27, 2018

Tuck Everlasting

was a book that Jena had to read for her children's literature class for Wonderwood Academy.  Over the Christmas break, Gary, Jena, and I watched a movie of it on Hulu.  It was interesting to talk about the differences between the book and the movie with Jena.  So when I saw that Tuck Everlasting was one of the plays for Hale Theatre this year, I decided that I should take Jena along with Sara and Emily to the theatre to see it.  Personally, I wasn't sure that I really wanted to see it or not.  Although I liked the overall message of the book--"Live a well-lived life.", it wasn't my favorite story.

However, I actually loved the play and it was fun to share it with the three girls who also loved it.  For one thing, it was a musical which I hadn't expected.  The music was gorgeous and the songs enhance the story and its messages well.

It was in the Jewel Box Theatre at Hale Theatre in Sandy--Emily and Sara had never been there before, which added to the joy of the experience.  Sara left with the goal of being an actress on stage.



 Before the show started, a shot of the theatre.
This is the young actress who played Winnie Foster.  She shook hands with each of the girls and talked with them briefly.

The only downside of the whole evening was the drive to Provo to their apartment after the play which meant they missed family night and got there about 10:45 pm. and I got home to Syracuse about midnight.  I was glad that I had taken them though.  It was fun to talk about the book and the play with them, but mostly watch their faces as they enjoyed the play.  Life theatre is a special experience.

No comments: