Sunday, March 4, 2018

Root Tech Family Discovery Day 2018

Gary had attend Roots Tech since Wednesday and had enjoyed a large variety of classes and exhibits related to family history and technology.  Roots Tech is the largest family history conference in the world with about 15000 people in attendance for the first three days and an additional 11,000 for the Family Discovery Day which is directed at LDS families.  After attending last year, I didn't want to miss the opportunity to attend again this year, even though I couldn't get away from work to attend any of the other days of the conference.

We got up early on Saturday so that we could take the Front Runner down.  There was suppose to be a terrible winter storm coming in that evening and we thought we would avoid the parking problems and driving in the storm by taking the train.
I am holding Gary's Conference bag.
"Forever"

There was already snow on the mountains but they were predicting several inches more in the upcoming storm. 

Welcome to ROOTS TECH 2018!


We immediately were welcomed by the sounds of salsa music and dancing as we entered the Salt Palace.  Today was a tribute to Latino Cultures and throughout the day, there was music and dancing groups in the lobby to entertain conference goers as they walked from class to class.
Our first formal class was Jason Hewett and Hank Smith, who spoke last year.  This year they shared more of their own testimonies of family history and all of the interesting things that you can do on the Family Search phone app.  You all should get that app on your phone and start having fun!!

I loved how you can see Jason and Hank's silhouettes on the screen as a video was played about some of the promises for families as they engage in family history work.  One great message was that every day as you interact with your families, you are engaged in building memories and creating family history.  Both, researching your family who has gone before and building and recording memories of your current lives are part of family history and allow you to strengthen family members yet to be born. 

We took a quick look around the Expo Hall after the first session and I had to take photos from the Norwegian booth.  No one was there to talk to so that I could explain that I just recently learned that I was part Norwegian, but I grabbed some literature and hopefully there is some things I can share with Uncles Ed and Mike sometime.


Jena posted by a dress worn by Eliza Snow.  This was the Heirloom booth and encourage people to keep, preserve and share items from their family.
As an extra bonus, we got to visit for a few minutes with our friends, Robynn and Dick Thiot, as we waited for the next session to start with Pres. and Sis. Oaks.  They are in town from Plano, Texas, to visit Robynn's dad and to enjoy the conference.  It is fun to share family history with family AND with friends.

They took a picture of the three of us.  The lights shifted from red to blue and back again so it wasn't the best light for photos, but great memories nevertheless.


Pres. Oaks and his wife did a very nice job.  I loved their ideas about creating a Bedtime story book with family stories to read and I also loved the "Getting to Know Your Relatives" Night. My sister, Valerie, was watching from her home in Mesa and before their talk ended, she had texted me that we should have a "Eileen" party to share our mom with the grandchildren and great-grandchildren.  Pres. Oaks had a "Stella" night to share his mom with the family.  So many great ideas which can bring our families closer and honor the amazing people who have completed their journeys on earth.

Gary and I love the Relative Race which is on BYU TV and the third season starts tonight.  It is a type of reality show where couples or two family members race across the country against three other couples to meet family members and to do challenges.  These are family members they usually don't know who were found based on the Ancestry DNA.

They had two of the cars used in this season's race.  I guess we are voting for the green team this year.  We will see.

More Latino music on our way out of the conference---

One sweet moment occur when this couple stepped out and began dancing a Latin two-step of some kind.  I teared up as I watched them dance and thought about the memories that this music and this dance must have brought to them.  As I looked in the audience, I noticed many older people of Hispanic descent singing along in Spanish with tears in their eyes.  I had never heard the song before nor did I know the dance....but it didn't matter.  I felt the love, the connection, the joy, and the sense of belonging that it brought to those standing near me.  I have been away from familiar things in my life and I know how sweet it is to see and to feel them once again. And although this was not my history or my culture, I stood in one with them as we share that feeling of connection and belonging.
And that was just a small taste of the feelings that we all were going to experience as we gathered at the closing ceremonies for ROOTS TECH Latino Celebration............

Because of the door we entered, we were about 10 rows up from the stage.  I took this picture before the event started as I knew that we were not to take pictures during the actual event.
I took this photo from a friend's facebook post which she took from her much higher spot in the Conference Center....
 Image may contain: indoor
Words can't describe how awesome this experience was for me.  First, the music, the dancing, the comments, and the entire production was amazing.  Everyone should watch it, especially if you love Latino culture or just love people.  It is awesome.

Here is a link--not sure how long it will work, but if you have some time, go to lds.org and watch the Roots Tech   Luz de Las Naciones 2018.

 https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/watch/latino-event-my-family/2018/03?cid=HP_SA-3-3-2018_dFHD_fBCAST_xLIDyM_&lang=eng

For some reason when they put it on the site, it includes an hour of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.  That might get fixed, but if not, go to -2.05 in the video and that is around the start of the program.

I already mentioned my response to seeing the couple dance spontaneously in the lobby of the Salt Palace.  Imagine how I felt waiting in line with almost 20, 000 people, most Hispanic families, to watch this production.  First, I felt like I was back in Texas---something that makes me happy anytime.  To hear Spanish spoken around me reminded me of many experiences I have had in Texas and my friends who are Hispanic.

It triggered another memory from Texas, too.  While we were living in Plano, the Hong Kong Children's Choir came to the Ft. Worth area to perform at one of the very large Baptist Churches in the area.  I decided that it would be a good experience to share with Ben and Tosha who were about 8 and 7 at the time.  Gary and I took the two of them.  There was a huge crowd--mostly Chinese and other Asians who were there, also with their children.  I hadn't expected that and it overwhelmed me again with that sense of belonging and connection with Chinese people that is such a part of me.  So many memories of Hong Kong and China came quickly to me in that moment.  It was really a sacred moment to share the music of the Children's Choir--part religious and part Asian--with people who loved it so.

So I was already emotional, so this two hour program, part in Spanish and part in English--sharing the culture, the music, the dance and traditions of the Latino and Hispanic cultures--was breathtaking.  I loved how the crowd would recognize the song after just a couple of notes and start to cheer long before the song or dance began.  I loved how they recognized the singers before their names were announced.  I loved how those around me recognized their own family members on stage including their little children who were dancing the dances of their generations gone by.  I loved how the music, the words, and the dances played tribute to families--past, present, and future.  The colors, the beats, the moves--so Latin--but the message so universal--"We are a part of who have gone before and we are the link to those who come after.  Be strong."

Seriously, you will want to watch this.

It seemed appropriate that this is the last picture for the day.  A look at the spires of the Salt Lake Temple as we waited for the Trax to take us to our train.  It is there that we stand and honor those who have gone before and those coming afterwards by creating links to eternity.

Truly, families are together forever!  What a day!!

No comments: