Sunday, September 13, 2015

Buddy Walk 2015

We had the third Buddy Walk since I became president of the Utah Down Syndrome Foundation on August 29th and it was great.  We didn't have as many people as we hoped due in part to having to do it in August rather than September.  People had a great time and it was fun----and I am so glad to have it done and over with.  Our Buddy Walk Chair person ended up having a lot of family crises and that left the bulk of the work to Steve, our CEO, and to me.  Planning for 1000 people for an event in Salt Lake becomes a full time job during the last month or so.  It was nuts.  Luckily my family is a great help.  A special thanks to Gary who ran rocket launching, Jessica and Elessia who passed out t-shirts, our good friends Hal and Jolynn Beckstrand who pitched in and helped everywhere, and Jena who is always willing to help.

Our theme was "Shoot for the Stars" so we centered things around Star Wars:

Zach singing
We had rocket designing and launching, a Bike Adventure Zone, inflatables, carnival games, lunch, dancing and the 1/2 mile walk around the park.  We had about 1000 people including Princess Laia and a Storm Trooper.




 
Liam in his cute Star Wars outfit




We got there about 6 in the morning and I headed up around 3.  This is what it looked like at our house for about a week until I actually got most things put away.

Gary's half of the garage
Something I took home that I had to take back to storage in Salt Lake

The Dining Room
And this was just the stuff that I needed to put away.  Down in our basement we had 5 balance bikes, 7 boxes of rockets, 6 rocket launchers, and several other boxes of items which we delivered to Logan on this past Friday for their upcoming Buddy Walk at the end of the month.

It was fun, but I am REALLY glad it is over!!!  Needless to say, but both Gary and I met our steps goal on that Saturday.

No comments: