Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Families are forever...............


A Sunday morning shot of the beach from the balcony:




When I started these blog posts about our trip to Oregon, I mentioned that it was filled of remembrances of my mom.  These were places she shared with me and taught me to love--the forests, history, and most of all the beach.  I drove through places of her childhood and my childhood and I felt such sweet feelings about her and the great influence she had and continues to have on my life.  I had one other sweet minute as we were heading back to Portland, we drove through the town of McMinnville when I saw this place--


Not the best picture as I was grabbing my camera to take the shot while we were driving down the road.  This is the place my mom went to her freshman year of college-Linville College--the first in her family to attend college. Of all of the towns and roads in Oregon on this last day we passed this very place.  My mom talked about college and how much she loved it which led in part I am sure my decision to go away to school. It was perfect.

As I planned the trip, I had asked if anyone wanted to attend a session at the Portland Temple.  We decided not to based on timing, etc., but Gary and I had figured a route which would allow us to stop at the temple on the way to the airport.  Our earlier lunch stop had taken much longer than I expected and Gary and I were debating on whether to reroute directly to the airport.  We decided to still squeeze in a quick stop.  I am so glad I did.  For some reason it become the perfect end to our family trip to Oregon.  The grounds were so quiet and so beautiful.












Charon and Mom Hall



Gary and Vonette Kerr

Of course, memories of my mom had been all around me during the entire trip.  However I also found myself missing Dad Hall and Gary's sister Valerie.  When we are together, it is natural to feel the loss of them sharing these adventures with us.  They would have loved this trip and sharing the beach with us.  I don't know for everyone else but for me, stopping at the temple brought strong feelings of these family members who had gone before, that we are still connected, that our love and associations are and will be for eternity!  I was in awe of the great plan of happiness that our Heavenly Father has for us.  It was truly the right and perfect end to our 80th Birthday trip.

All in all we put several hundred miles on our rental car, crossed on four different roads between Portland and the beach, and seen some amazing things.  I didn't want it to end.

Happy Birthday, Mom Hall!!! Thanks for sharing your day with us.

Gary carrying our kites through the airport.
Can't wait for another chance to fly them again.






No comments: