Thursday, June 11, 2015

How was your weekend?

(Imagine this dialogue in my stressed, crazy voice--Yes it was that type of weekend.)

Well, Friday morning (June 5th), I woke up to find a messenger message on my phone from Tosha.  She was telling me that Niki had had a seizure and they were on the way to the hospital.  Scary news anytime, but when your little grandson (and your daughter and son-in-law) are across the Pacific in a foreign country where they have been for less than three weeks, the worry grows. 

So glad when I was able to Face time with Tosha in their ICU hospital room--1:25 a.m. their time.  Austen and Niki were sleeping but I was so relieved to see them in person and to hear my sweet daughter share the story about Niki and the angels which helped them.  I am so grateful for the events that led to them being moved to a different hotel on base which turned out to be very close to the base clinic.  Grateful that there were airmen outside the hotel when Tosha was seeking help who knew where the clinic was and drove them there immediately.  And happy for the LDS serviceman who came at their request to give sweet Niki a blessing---and came later with food for them--and sent others to visit them as well.  Tosha did awesome. She told me that she was even glad that she had spent time in hospitals while she was growing up because it felt like a safe place and she knew much of what it is like.

Friday was already a busy day as I was in charge of a Ward BBQ and Family Fun night that night.  Gary and I were busy running around gathering stuff for the activity.  The weather was threatening in the morning so it was uncertain how much we should do but it started to clear up and it was perfect weather that night.  I like planning activities but Friday was crazy with Niki in the hospital in Okinawa and baby Liam a day old in Salt Lake.  In addition Ben had not slept at all the night before due to a new medication so I felt pulled in many directions.

Then Friday night, it was announced that Syracuse was under boil water orders due to some cross contamination.  As part of my calling as emergency preparedness person, we spent from 9-midnight getting the word out to our neighborhood, including taking flyers with directions to every house.  At the end of that day I had walked 24,000+ steps with my phone and I am sure there were more without my phone in my pocket.  I fell into bed physically and emotional exhausted.  It had been a busy week of ups and downs.

Saturday started with 6 hours of working on our group research project.  Now I was also exhausted intellectually..........Niki was doing better but they were still waiting for lots of tests to come back.
Liam did come home.

Sunday was a nice break. Jena and I made a late evening visit down to hang out with Liam, Jessica and Elessia.  (They live in Magna about 45 minutes away.)However we were still boiling water and using bottled water.  Luckily we can wash our clothes and take showers and use our toilets.

At 2:45 a.m. or so Monday morning, my cell phone rings--never good!  It was Jessica.  Liam was running a low grade fever and the on call nurse told them to head to Primary's.  I headed out to meet them there and we spent a few hours while they ran some tests.  The fever was under the threshold of concern. They ended up sending them home saying that it was probably nothing but just watch him. And to take him to his scheduled appointment that afternoon.

I got a message that Niki had been released and all of the tests came back good.  They decided that it was febrile seizures which are caused by fevers in young infants.  He probably had a virus and a bacteria.  Some good news.

Monday afternoon was a re-hearing for Ben's commitment proceeding.  It was a total mess as times we were given were wrong and we had to wait.  Then we found out that Ben had asked for no DBH staff to present which meant the whole things had to be postponed---a waste of 4 hours!!  And on the day of a neighborhood party we were hosting--"Cookies in the Cul-de-sac". (It had been postponed from last week due to wind.) 

Later that afternoon I got another call from Jessica.  Liam was running a fever right at 100.4 which is the threshold for infants under 30 days old.  His doctor was admitting him to Primary's right then.  One grandson out of the hospital and another one back in!

About 4:00 I realized that we couldn't use our normal 5 gal. water containers of water so I headed to buy some bottles water for our party. It was hard to focus on another party with little Liam being in the hospital.  Gary just took over.  After things were set up, I headed south to Primary's again to spend some time with Liam, Jessica and Elessia.  Being in the hospital with your baby is never good but when your baby is only 4 days old, it is scary plus! In addition, Jessica had bruised her tail bone during labor so can't sit or walk well.  She is suppose to lay down as much as possible--not possibly in the hospital.

So that was my weekend.  Thanks for asking.  How was yours?

Good news

---Liam is now home and also doing well.  All tests came back fine, probably a virus he might have had even at birth.  We hung out with them on Wednesday after he got home.

---Niki still doing great.  Now Tosha is running a fever but hopefully she is doing well now.

And I have caught up on my sleep after a few naps and uninterrupted nights of sleep.  I am getting old!

No comments: