Sunday, September 19, 2010

The weather, Stake Conference, and Updates.....

We are enjoying a warm "spell" which thrills Jena.  She and a friend swam for a couple of hours yesterday morning after swimming at swim practice for 11/2 hours.  Jena would have been happy to hop back in the pool later that day but we were busy with other things--like watching the BYU game (not good!) and getting some things done around the house.  I am not sure exactly what we got done because it seems my list is still as long today.  That is the great thing about Sundays--you get to put that list away and take a restful and full day with more important things.

This is our Stake Conference Weekend.  We attended the temple with some of our Stake on Friday afternoon.  We took Gary's mom with us which I am not sure we have done much before.  We really never made it a practice to go with Gary's parents when Dad Hall was alive, but I wish we did when we were living near enough.  I guess that is a gentle reminder that I can go with my own dad sometimes, too, and that I should start a habit going with Scott and Chantel. Over a year ago, I did baptisms for the dead, just Tosha and I.  That was a sweet experience....and it reminded me that I am a bit older than last time I did that.

We then had the Saturday Night Adult Meeting which is one of the most amazing meetings in the Church.  It equates with my memories of BYU devotionals and firesides---just great stuff and overwhelming feelings of love and desire to do better (in that positive, encouraging way).

Today we will have conference later.  A nice way to spend a day.

Time for a news recap on the family:
Gary is still teaching Primary and working with the Webelos.  They meet at our house and it is fun to see them do the fun Webelo stuff.  I remember that Ben especially loved Webelos because he had a great leader, too.  Still working for HP although in this current climate that seems like almost a week by week decision as layouts happen quietly here and there.  We have been so lucky to work in the same company (although bought and sold a couple of times and to still have a job) for 22 years.
Jessica is working as a family advocate for Head Start and is taking 2 classes to work toward a certificate in Child Life.
Scott and Chantel are doing well and busy with school, work, and married life.
Ben just turned 22.  His life remains stuck in many ways as the illness and the medications continue to play havoc with his life.  It is often complicated to know if the illness or the medications are causing the difficulties in his daily life.  He continues despite all the problems to take his medication and hope for a better future.  He did attend the Utah NAMI Walk in Salt Lake yesterday morning to bring awareness of mental illness in the community.  And he also went out to eat and to a movie with his good friend Travis, who recently returned home from his mission.
Tosha is selling shoes, dating Roark, and thinking about the next step in her life.  We saw a recent ad for learning to be an X-ray technician.  She has good memories of the people who took x-rays for her and she thinks it might be a good match for her.  She and I might be looking into that this next bit.
Jena is busy with piano, basketball and swimming for Special Olympics, school and Young Women.  She is enjoying her classes.  I got an email from her science teacher who commented that she is a hard worker and has a great attitude in his class.  She also tried out for our Ward Roadshow and will be part of a small group of girls dancing.  As a part of her tryout, she sang a part of a Hannah Montana song.  She sang very soft, but she sang it alone in front of a group of people.  That was amazing!  And also the power of peers.  She was only required to tryout by following stage directions and acting happy and sad, but she chose to sing a song because that is what most people did.
And me---I just find life busy with amazing little experiences in between the busyness of a family of seven (that would be eight now with Chantel).  Work has felt busy for the past little while and I realized why when I did my time card for the past two weeks and have worked 48 hours.  Since my plan is to work about 12 hours a week, that is a big jump.  I have had a couple of placements and also trainings, home studies to complete, and the list goes on. 

I guess I took off yesterday except for some basic housecleaning and watched the game (most of it) while reading Mockingjay, the final book in the Hunger Games.  If you like books about futurist civilizations, you would enjoy these books.  I decided I better read it after reading a face book entry of someone commenting on the ending.  I realized that face book might ruin the book for me so I decided I needed to get it done.  Another minor achievement is I am now certified as a basketball coach for Special Olympics.  That involved some online training and also a basketball clinic with a trainer from the State office. 

I am almost done memorizing the "Living Christ".  It continues to be an amazing and sweet experience where many times I have been moved to tears.   Attending the temple on Friday became a tearful experience as often the words would flow through my mind. 

And just for fun and because it is that time of a year, I am kicking around the idea of going back to school and getting a Masters in Social Work.  It is the most useful degree for the work that I continue to do (although I will have to quit if I go back to school) and for the future as we think about missions, etc.  It is more recognizable worldwide.  My other option might be as a clinical psychologist but that is a four year PhD program and I don't see doing that.  The downside is that they don't have too many options for adjusting things around the rest of my life.  It is a hard choice.  Stay tuned to see what craziness I decide to do next!

And as they saw that is (some) of the rest of the story.

Have  restful and sweet Sabbath day at your houses as well.

1 comment:

The Neerings Family said...

That is so great about Jena. I could NEVER do that. The lesson I taught in Primary today was on talents and I was talking about how I HATE speaking in front of people and never wanted to be the center of attention, yet became a teacher. Why? Kids aren't as scary to me!

The Hunger Games...excellent!!!

Good luck on what you decide to do with school. It seems now that I have a little more time (haha) to do that, we don't have the money to. And once I go back to work full time to be able to have the money to do it, I won't have the time!!! What to do, what to do. In any case I don't want to get my masters in Education. I am looking into Speech & Language Pathology...since my original choice of Library Science is pretty much nonexistent in the work place these days. The S&L degree would be about a full 3 years since I don't have all the science prerequisites.

Love your blog, check it often. Love that Blogger has that "follow" option so I can see all your updates right away on my "dashboard". Thanks for keeping in touch through the blog and email. I was just telling my dad how if something happens with the Halls or Ipsons, I'm in the know. But when it comes to the other Gibersons, well my Uncles aren't so great at it!