Sunday, December 13, 2009

Migraines and such things....

My brother commented in the summer when he returned some of my Mom's journals that he had read that he was amazed how often Mom was sick, ecpecially with a headache or migraine.  She clearly had migraines which I apparently inherited and passed down to Jessica as well, we think.  She also had lots of sinus headaches which became better over the years as understanding of allergies improved.  Perhaps, she wrote most often as she was recovering from a headache, because she was in her room without children bugging her.

So, for the record, I am recovering from a migraine, just in case some distant great grandaughter may happen upon this record and wondering if I suffered from them or not.  I am doing much better in the past few years since I started taking Lyrica.  It is an off-label use of this medication, but helps me by dramatically reducing the number of migraines and actually how my migraines manifest themselves.  I usually go 5-8 weeks without a migraine and then will have a series of them over a couple of days or weeks.  The first week of December I had one almost every night during the night until I finally went to bed at 4:00 in the afternoon one day and took medication until I felt great the next morning.  This one started yesterday after a morning of Christmas Party (Utah Down syndrome Foundation), bowling  (Special Olympics), and Christmas shopping with Jena.  I decided to try the "rest and medication until it is better" approach.  I woke up about 5:00 a.m. and felt great, but it didn't last.  However, I am feeling much better now (with medication) except for a small headache on my right side.

And that is how it is.....for the record.  My sympathy goes out to all of you who also don't feel the best.  Have a quiet Sabbath.

1 comment:

Robynn said...

I hope you can have a restful Sabbath and wake up tomorrow feeling good again. I love you my friend. I'm glad the song worked. Love, Rob