Friday, December 4, 2009

Journaling and Blogs

Is a blog like a new toy....after awhile the newness wears off, I will will go back to days or months behind posts...or can I really ease into being a journal writing through this new medium which makes me look creative and smart by being about to cut and paste from one site to another.

I have recently reorganized rooms and bookshelves as I have mentioned.  In the process, I set up a bookshelf in "my office/gym/craft room"  (I heard snickers from those of you who know I don't really 'craft'.  However I do apparently collect scrapbook paper and lettering to do scrapbooks and that is the room I keep all that stuff in.  I prefer to think of it as "Family History", sounds much better doesn't it!)  ANYway, getting back to the subject at hand:  I have pulled out my Mom's journals and also the volumes of Giberson Trivia that she made.  So now, I have started looking through her journals.  For those of you would don't know, my mom was a journal writer.  Fairly consisent from 1960 on although there are things before that.  Amazing for someone who had eight children and a busy load in the Church especially since she was musical and creative--(think choirs, roadshows, and plays during the 1960's and 70's in the Church).  Many of her entries were simple things like "we got to of our sisters visiting taught today and still need to do two more.  Richard had two meetings tonight at the Church.  We enjoyed ice cream when he got home."  I love to read those things but I have never in my spotted attempts at journal keeping, even noted things like that.  Certainly not if I did my visiitng teaching or not.  But it is a sweet legacy for her to leave behind.  Quiet service and obedience, that was my mom.  (For the record, I have not done my visiting teaching for December, but I have brought my Christmas gift for them.)

I am not sure that a blog matches that type of private record keeping, but perhaps it is a start.  It does feel like a way to be more personal with family and friends far away.  Perhaps more like a conversation with each other than a general e-mail of the surface details of our lives.  Any thoughts!

3 comments:

Robynn said...

I LOVE your BLOG and I love you. Cute new background! You are really good at this blogging world. Love, Rob

Anonymous said...

Sorry but that new color for the text is not readable by my eyes.
Dad

Julie said...

I love your blog too!! Hopefully when Mike gets home for Christmas break, I can get him to help me set one up and see if I'M any better at blogging than I am at journal keeping. Love, Julie