Sunday, February 11, 2024

Happy Celebrations--Institute style

Because Chinese New Year was yesterday, we decided to celebrate in Institute on Tuesday night with the Ft. Smith class.  We mostly ordered from Panda Express and added some rice, oranges, and dessert.  It turned out to be harder than I expected to find some simple Chinese New Year decorations in the area.  We finally found a limited supply at an Asian market in north Ft. Smith.  It added a bit of Chinese flair, but I was missing my Chinese lanterns and other things I have packed away at home.  Chinese food was a hit!

Waiting for Gary to pick up the Panda Express.....

Mandarin oranges

Not really a Chinese food-but connected closely
to Hong Kong.  These are two treats my kids liked
when we lived there and since getting back to the states, 
I often bought them for Chinese New Year.

It was fortunate that the food part wasn't too complicated, because the lessons for last week were challenging to prepare especially the lesson on Symbolism in the Gospel.  The difficulty is having a class with returned missionaries and two new converts--widely different experiences to engage on this topic. Yet important for both groups to be able to discuss.  I struggled with options for several days before deciding a way to split up the groups and try to make it meaningful for both. I think it worked out okay.  It might be a format that we use again to divide them up for these more challenging topics.

No comments: