Sunday, May 26, 2019

My First Day of Non-Employment!

It was 6 years ago in 2013 that I took over as volunteer President for UDSF--accidentally as you may recall.  That was a 20-40 hour a week commitment that was crazy and I was so happy when I finally was able to create a part-time CEO position and hired someone to manage the foundation.  That was critical since I started graduate school in social work in 2014.  That I finished in 2017 and moved from my internship at The Children's Center directly into working there full-time. 

All of that came flooding back when I woke up Thursday morning and was thrilled with the idea that my day was totally under my control.  Not that I don't have a to-do this that is a mile long.  My house, yard, and desk have projects galore that need to be addressed and completed--many of them yesterday.  It was just that my mind and my focus for the moment could be on those things for a time.  It was freeing and overwhelming at the same time.  I still haven't decided what my weekly schedule will be--when I will clean and when I will work in the yard and what day I will run errands.  I am at a different stage of my life and I need to figure it out again what will work best for me.

One thing I knew I was going to do--get back to my daily walks in the morning.  It has been several years since I did that on a regular, daily bases and it was top on my list for Thursday morning.  Fortunately the weather was not raining at 7:30 and I was able to enjoy a walk at Jensen pond, just like in the "olden days."

 It was a bit damp and cold so mostly shared my walk with the ducks.
 The clouds and the greens was amazing....

While the other ducks didn't even move as I came close to them, this mother duck hustled her little ducklings away when I came close.
 Skies toward the west and Antelope Island.

One thing that has changed is all of the houses which have been built on the south and west part of this section of the trail......some people call it progress--good for the tax base and all of that. but I miss the open fields.


This is to the west.  It is hard to see but there is a man-made small lake over there and people have built these huge houses around it.

Back toward the east with the subdivision in front to catch the mountains with new snow and the clouds sitting on top of them.

 The all-important bridge where I try to end my walks at Jensen Pond.



A great way to start my first day of the rest of my life...................

No comments: