Sunday, February 17, 2019

I Am Not A Craft Person

I learned that fairly early in my life.  Working with my hands in dirt or sand, I enjoy (although I am not really a gardener either, just like the dirt and sand part.) but using scissors, hot glue guns, drawing things--those are not my skills.  Spending my adult life in the Church has given me lots of opportunities to "prove" that this is not my thing.  When I was younger, I kept trying and would have half done projects from "Homemaking Meetings" around for years before I re-purposed them or gave them away to my more talented friends.  Then I went through a phase where I would attend, but simply visited and not even try to do whatever craft was happening at that moment.

Now I am in the phase of life that "I can try if I want, but I am not good at it."  I think that is even a more grownup phase--to be able to try things I am not good at (because I usually try to do only things I am good at) and to be able to laugh at the attempts.  I have to admit when they announced that they were doing cake decorating as part of the Relief Society Extra Meeting Night, I rolled my eyes (to myself)--not something I am good at or even want to be good at.  However, I decided to try it any way.....and I am not good at it, but we had fun anyway--and our table laughed a lot as frosting squirted and minions were being formed--and fell apart.

My rose frosted cupcake  (with a certain type of tip)
My "minion" fondant statue
Yes, crafting is not my thing, but I see how it brings many women together in a sharing experience and I appreciate that.  And despite my lack of skills, Jessica and Tosha are both talented in craft like things.  Maybe all of those half made projects encouraged them to develop their own talents, despite my lack of skills.

I would rather read a book!

No comments: