Sunday, May 7, 2017

Jena's Celebrations

As I mentioned, Jena's goals after her mission were first to talk in Church and second was to celebrate!  Jena had been thinking about her talk for a couple of weeks and whenever she made a comment about it, I tried to remember it so that we could include those things in her actual talk.  I have including it here:

"I wanted to serve a mission a long time.  I wanted to go far away and learn to speak Chinese on my mission.
It made me sad when my mom told me that I would serve my mission at home.  I wanted to serve Heavenly Father so I went on a mission anyway.
I served at the Church History Museum and the Layton DI.  I worked hard and was happy.
At the DI, I worked with the clothes.  When you donate your clothes to the DI, you are serving.  Your clothes help people.  Sometimes your clothes might even be sent to Africa.
That is what Jesus and Heavenly Father want us to do. ..to serve others.
Doctrine and Covenants 4: verse 2 says     “O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength…”
I served others with my whole heart.  You can do the same every day and when you go on a mission.
I love Heavenly Father and Jesus.  I know the Church is true.
I like to read the Book of Mormon.  I know we should follow Pres. Monson and our Bishop.
I love my family, friends and the co-workers and other missionaries I served with.

In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen."
The night before Jena commented that she wished that she was giving her talk in our old ward, Walnut Grove.  I was surprised because she hadn't ever said anything about that in the time since our ward divided.  I was the one who was so sad about her not giving her "farewell talk" there as it was shortly after our ward divided.  She didn't need to worry.  Sunday morning our chapel was filled with family, members of our ward-Barber Acres, and friends from Walnut Grove.
It was a unique and spiritual meeting to attend.  Not only was Jena speaking at the end of her mission, Brandon Dickson and Emmory Ralphs were speaking as they prepared to leave on their missions. These two outstanding young people are our neighbors, their parents sweet friends and they shared our Walnut Grove family with us, too. Brandon and Jena have been friends since he moved in Kindergarten.  He has one of the biggest hearts in the world and he had a soft spot for Jena.  They went through school together and shared the love of theatre so they shared performances and classes together often.  He is a young man who struggles with anxiety and really felt that a 2 year call away from home would be too much for him.  He talked about that struggle and the answers that came that led him to his 3 1/2 month service in Nauvoo as a performing missionary.  How great is that!  It will be a hard task for him but he will do his best to serve the Lord with the many great talents he has. Emmory is a year younger than Jena and Brandon but she was often part of Jena's Young Women's experiences. As a 19 year old young woman, she is ready to leave on Wednesday to serve her mission in Houston Texas-Spanish speaking.  
Jena spoke first and gave her talk--the longest one that she has ever given in Church.  She started with:  "Dear Brothers and Sisters, My talk is on service"...and then gave her talk as listed above.  She seemed relaxed and smiled from time to time.  Of course, I cried, but that had started long before as I saw these three friends sitting side by side from the start of the meeting.  Oh how they love each other and how much they love the Lord!  Emmory followed with her sweet talk about her journey to prepare to serve a mission.  Then--if they made highlight films of Sacrament meetings, this would have made it--Brandon and Emmory sang a duet together of "As Sister in Zion/Armies of Helaman". It was gorgeous.  Then Brandon shared his very personal account of trying to decided how to manage his anxiety and his desire to serve the Lord.  It was all so perfect.  Three young people serving the Lord, each in their own unique way.  It is not often if ever that you would see that in one meeting!  I count it a privilege to have been there and to have felt what I felt.  The closing moments of the meeting were also to be treasured as we sang "Called To Serve".  Watching these three friends with smiles on their faces sing this special hymn as they have offered their service to the Lord was a great moment as well.

We didn't get a picture of the three of them at Church
but this was taken at Emmory's after the celebrations!
Emmory Ralphs, Brandon Dickson and Jena
And on to the celebrations---well, first we went to Primary and then to the celebrating:

Saige Frances and Jena
with victory fingers and duck lips--
Didn't know that was a thing!

Family and friends--

Aliyah and Halle Mann
our neighbors and our niece's daughters

Jena and Grandma Hall
 Jena with two of our Primary students--
Jared
Morgan
Scarlett had Anna as her "swinger"
for a good share of the afternoon.
Scott, Chantel and James
Jena and Meggan Sparrow who is currently
serving her Young Church Service mission at the Pasta Mill
 After our celebration, we headed to the Stake offices where Jena was formally released as a Young Church Service missionary.  I guess Jena was a bit nervous because the first thing she said after the interview was over was "That was easy."  I guess she was thinking it would be more of an interview than it was.  It was sweet and I cried some more.

We made a quick trip to Emmory's and Brandon's and had to get a picture of this Texas flag. If they do the same thing this time that they did with their son who served in Ecuador, this flag will fly in our neighborhood for the next 18 months.  How great is that for me!!


We had collected pictures from Jena's mission and made a display on our dining room table so people could see what she did as a missionary.  Most of these pictures have been in the blog so you would have seen them but it was fun to see them printed and to share with our family and friends. During the summer we will make a scrapbook for her to keep them all in.






I was grateful for Anna's help as she helped us get the display ready on Saturday night and she ran home during Primary to stir the pulled port for us. And she was Scarlett's number 1 friend as she pushed her in the swing for a very long time during the afternoon.

It was a great day.  I posted on Facebook:
"Jena finished her next goals today....She gave an awesome talk in Church about serving a mission with two of her life long friends who were leaving on missions soon and then we held her celebration of her mission. She was formally released this afternoon as Young Church Service mission. One of those "best days" that last to eternity and beyond! Thanks to our family and friends who supported us today and especially supported Jena. We are blessed to have you all in our life."
Now this part of her life and our lives is finished.  It was a great experience in every aspect and we are just grateful for it all.

1 comment:

Gemie said...

Never has there been a sweeter mission report speech. So very proud of Jena!