Sunday, March 27, 2016

The Real Easter Message

We have 1:00 Church so we haven't been to hear the choir and sweet messages about our Savior and His Atonement yet although I am sure it will be excellent.

However I did attend the General Women's Broadcast with Jena last night at our stake center and it was a perfect way to spend the night before Easter.  First they had a choir representing over 50 different countries--that immediately made me tearful to see so many people of color in the choir and to listen to them singing together.  That is truly what Heaven will be like--all people united under their Heavenly Parents and also our Savior.

The messages centered on Christ and following his example to reach out and help and serve those around you.  "I was a Stranger and you took me in....". They talked about the over 60 million refugees throughout the world, over a half of them children and looking for ways to help them settle in a new place with a new language and new customs. They spoke of the early Saints who were comforted and fed by people living in Illinois as they were banished from Missouri and that we need to do likewise.

If you know me at all, you know that this is a message that is near to my heart.  My mind was filled of memories of the many "strangers" we have shared our lives with--both as "strangers" who lived with our family and others which we have served.  What a richness they have all brought to my life and the life of our family.  How true the message is that as we serve our own lives flourish and grow. Certainly we all yearn to be the Master's hands on earth to comfort, give aid, and love to those around us.  There was a call to action to get involved--to find our niche to help our families, our neighbors, and perhaps those across the town from us who are the strangers from a strange land.  There will be exciting times ahead for the sisters of the Church and for me.

I think what made this meeting even more sweet was just this past week, one of those I worked with at LDS Family Services came into a meeting as a foster parent of one of our young boys.  How great it was to see her and her husband.  I haven't seen her in over 7 years.  Later she wrote me a sweet note about our connections in the past.  One day we were strangers to each other and now we have a relationship which will connected us for eternities.

And that is the message of Easter--of Christ's perfect love for each of us and His willingness to suffer and surrender His Mortal life for us and then take it up again.  He was risen and He lives.  Follow Him and He will take us home to that Father who created us all.  This is my testimony this Easter day. In his name. Amen.

No comments: