Thursday, March 24, 2016

Colds and Events...

are not the best mix.

The day after our fun Early Easter, both Jena and I started coming down with a cold.  Jena stayed home from the Church History Museum on Tuesday but I kept plugging along with cold medications day and night.  I had to because it was another crazy week.

In addition to our normal stuff, I had to attend a support group on Wednesday night in Salt Lake for a class assignment.  I attended an "Adoption and Infertility" group which was all very familiar to me even though it has been a few years.  Times might be changing in many ways but the emotions of couples dealing with infertility and looking at adoption are very stable and universal.  One couple shared they have never talked to other couples dealing with infertility and at the end the husband said that it was not at all what he thought it would be like, it was just "good" and he couldn't wait to come again.  Then I got to go home and write a 5 page paper on the experience...fortunately not that actual night....because my body crashed and I started running a fever...which cancelled my internship for the day...but not...

THE PINEWOOD DERBY FOR OUR PACK--

I was lucky, because #1 Gary was running the races so I knew things would be great no matter what I felt like and #2 because I was supposed to be in Spanish Fork for my internship all day, I was organized and had my part of things ready to go prior to Wednesday night.  So I spent the day sleeping and Gary and others set up for the big race.

We had a fun collection of cars as always and it was a great night.  Cub Scouts are great!  And I have no actual pictures but we did have some one take pictures so I will add them at a later date.  We had 20 racers total which is a nice amount.

Heads to bed again Thursday night and slept in because we kept Jena home from school on Friday as her cough was getting worse again.  I cancelled a meeting I had in Salt Lake because I didn't have enough energy to do that and to party that night

AT THE WEBER STATE-UDSF FAMILY EDUCATION NIGHT!

Luckily I just had a small part and again had gotten most of it prepared early because I knew my week was crazy.  We were treated with dinner, then the WSU students were all matched with someone with Down syndrome and they went and did social, physical and academic tasks with them while we had a parent meeting about some exciting things ahead for our students at Weber State.

 Then we all headed all to the "Motion to Music provided by a DJ".  If we call it a dance we would have to provide police protection,  We are just a small group they just told us not to call it a dance but "motion to music" so we did.
Jena dancing while Kaitlyn covered her face since I was trying to take a picture.
 And they all had fun dancing with the college students.

Happy faces of fun friends--Mariah
 And Nate......

We were cleaned up and home thanks to all of the college volunteers by 9:30.  In time, to put the final organization and pack up things for Saturday morning...and a migraine during the night likely to my poor rest with my cold and the cold medication.  Migraine medication makes driving a bit of a worry so Gary became our driver (and gave up is morning plans) and off we went to the....

THE UDSF-MARRIOTT ANNUAL EASTER EGG HUNT
..... in Salt Lake at 10:00 am.  Jena was a good sport and helped me set up the crafts which I was in charge of.

I posted this on our Facebook group and said "The calm before the storm" as a reminder of the hunt.
We had 4000 eggs which were "hid" by the hotel staff.
 They moved in the food and crafts indoor because the weather was bit chilly outside especially in the shade.  They were great hosts and people enjoyed themselves--meeting new people and visiting with old friends.
The treat and drink table



Working on crafts together...

The hunt is on.....


The reason for the party is all of these cute kids.  Many of the older kids and adults still enjoy a good Easter Egg Hunt and this is the perfect setting for one.

Captain American made a surprise visit much to the delight of many of the kids.  For some reason he was much less scary than the Easter Bunny.



We had a lip sync contest and here is a distant picture of one of our singers.
  And the Easter Bunny...Jena claims she had her picture taken with him but I didn't get a copy of that yet.


Some of the adults braved the cool breeze and did some dancing with our great DJ, Jason.  He is a dancer, singing, and funny guy and we love having him at our dances.

This baby was wore out from all of the activities and admiring she was getting so she fell asleep so she got her face painter by our amazing face painter.  We are having her every year because she is the best I have ever seen.

Staff helped us clean up and we were on our way for lunch by 12:30 which was nice and then home for a nap after all of those parties and our colds.

Sunday we were planning to attend the broadcast of the Provo City Center Temple in our Stake Center but we were still under the weather.  I know that I need to rest more with a cold but sometimes that just doesn't work out.

Jena is doing much better and resumed all activities this week.  I still have plugged ears and stuffy nose which is annoying at night but improving so hopeful will be gone soon.  It has been a week and a half.

Why can't you get a cold when you have a great book to read and nothing else to do?  That's when you should have a cold.

One last historical note:  I forgot to mention that on March 13 we had our Stake Conference and our very beloved State President was released.  I don't know much about the new ones who have been called but I think hey will do great as well.  Our past Stake presidency was so humble and real and so dedicated to the Lord and to His work.  We will miss them but look forward to the changes as well.

No comments: