Sunday, July 12, 2015

Sizzling Summer of July

After having lots of rain and cooler weather, it went HOT on us for several days (okay, not Texas or Arizona hot, but several days of 100s).  Because of the drought we are to water only 2 times a week which means that most of us have dry spots in our yards.  (We usually do but now our neighbors do as well!).  It cuts down on the mowing as well since the grass isn't growing as quickly.  Sunflowers are growing well and I love their yellow faces and the birds and bees that visit them.

Jena took my camera and took this picture as we were heading home down Gordon Road.  I asked her why as I didn't think the clouds or sky were remarkable but she said that she just wanted a picture of the sky, so here you go--street scene approaching the light at 3200 West on Gordon Road in Layton!

Of course, I can't be too critical.  I took the picture below while coming off the freeway at the Park exit in Farmington, UT.  A few days before this, Gary told me that he had been stopped by a train (we love that!) and got to see a couple of unusual smaller "truck-trains" who were doing work on the tracks.  One of them was a small "truck" carrying a blue Honey Bucket (port-a-potty).  He thought that was so great but he didn't have his phone to take a picture.  As Jena and I drove down the freeway, I passed one but couldn't get a picture but then I saw this one ahead so took several pictures blindly hoping I would get one.  It isn't great but it is proof that Honey Buckets do travel the rails.


On July 8th we managed to carve out some time to celebrate my birthday when everyone could be there (except for Tosha, Austen and Niki, of course).  We had pizza and played around outside in the late afternoon before Jena and I had to leave to other commitments in the early evening.  Not many pictures--

Loving the sand

and the swings with Auntie Jena!
While we were partying, Tosha and Austen were "sheltering in place" for their first typhoon.  They were near the edges so the winds only got up to 70-80 mph according to the weather maps.  They had to stay in for 2 1/2 days on the base.  She said that it was much better and less scary than Oklahoma tornados but they haven't been in the direct middle of one yet. They are doing well but I realized that they haven't sent me pictures of Niki for over two weeks so I will have to bug them about that.

Jena ushered two more times this week--Monday night in her usual spot and then on Saturday during the matinee.  Then she was on the balcony which actually made her a bit nervous.  She likes it.
Beautiful usher and beautiful views of the mountains

Happy usher!
Another big event for Liam as he made a trip to the zoo.  They were only there for a few minutes (Jessica and Elessia have annual passes).  They wanted to get him a hat to match with his sleeper.

It was worth the trip! How cute is that.

No comments: