Monday, October 7, 2013

Fundraising

To be perfectly clear, Scott did not get his "salesmanship ways" from me.  He was a master salesman in the popcorn cub scout sales in Plano, Tx, back in the day and went I mentioned I was looking for some donations he immediately called his boss and got 8 coupons for Red Lobster.  It was torture for me to call or make a personal approach to business for donations.  I just don't travel in those circles or with that skill set.  I had lots of practice in August and September in behalf of both the Buddy Walk and the golf tournament.

At one point I was whining about it to myself during my prayers and I felt "What do you think missionary work is?"  Oh........then a couple of days later I was sharing my frustrations about my lack of skill in this area and Gary said, "What do you think missionary work is?"  Do we really have to make ALL of our weaknesses strong?"  Can't we make do with the things which are already strong for us?

I am 58 and have avoided a great deal of fundraising in the past by quickly volunteering for the tasks that I am more suited for (at least in my opinion.)  My goal was to make it my whole life.  Appartently there is another plan in place.

I do have to say that if I do need to learn this skill in behalf of my future mission service with Gary then I better work harder at learning how to do it.  I will have opportunities to practice for the next two years.

No comments: