Thursday, May 2, 2013

Windy Wednesday...

Not that Wednesday was really any more windy than our other days in Texas, but the "W"s worked for the title.  I often excused myself for not spending a lot of time doing my hair because I grew up in places like Richland and Amarillo which were very windy cities.  You lose your motivation to do your hair in those types of situations.  This day was like that.

Jena and I headed to downtown Dallas again to visit the Ross Perot Science Museum.  I had wanted to take Jena to the science museum where I had taken our other kids many times but I couldn't remember the name and couldn't find it during my internet searches.  Later my friends indicated that they think the other one is still there at Fair Park  We enjoyed our visit to this very new museum with the 30 busload of kids who were there on school field trips.
The front entrance
Dinosaurs-no natural science museum
would be complete without them


Frogs outside the entrance.
 
In each different section of the museum, they had
a place where they introduced different types of scientists
who worked in that field.  In the area about the human body, I was surprised
to see this screen---This is Dr. Karol who did Tosha's surgery
when she was five at Scottish Rite Hospital.
She did an awesome job on it which allowed Tosha to dance and
do most things with her hip.

This section brought to life many of the things
Jena is learning in her high school biology class.

They had a lab area where you got to be a
"scientist" and do an experiment.
Jena prepared a slide of her check cells by scraping her cheek and then
putting it on a slide and staining it.  This is one of her cells.

We saw a 3-D movie about meercats which was very interesting.  The whole visit just reminded me how amazing our world is and how much I don't know about it. 

After that, we headed to McKinney, TX, to visit with our friends the Keelers.  We had great food as Maria is a great cook and had a fun visit.

We had a little bit of an adventure on the way back to my brother's house in Grapevine.  Traveling back on "635" (because I didn't want to pay the toll the other way), we were traveling in the dark, in the middle of major construction where the lanes were changing around and there were cement barricades everywhere, it started to pour down rain like it can in Texas.  Fortunately it only lasted about 15 minutes but that is terrifying driving for me.  I was ready to pull over and take a nap.  Typical situation in Dallas driving so I guess it was all part of the Texas experience.

We spent the night at my brother Rick's and had a quiet morning helping my sister-in-law Linda to box up and clean up Katie's room so that Thad could move in.  We then packed up ourselves and got the 2:30 plane back to Salt Lake.  It was a great trip and I was so glad that I was able to take Jena with me.  I am sorry that we didn't get to see everyone we knew, but it still was awesome!

Jena told me at one point that she loves vacations with cousins.  On the way home she told me that she wanted to go to Disneyland for our next vacation and then after a short pause she added, "but with Dad."  Yea, I like vacations with Dad , too.  No telling where our next trip will take us.

We flew in to Salt Lake and Gary and his mom picked us up and off we went to dinner and a play at the Hale Theatre.  We saw Chitty Chitty Bang Bang which was great.  During our performance the car actually did go "bang".  Right at intermission when the car was flying and then started going down into the stage as a curtain was descending, there was a loud band and then a scream or two.  A minute or two later, stage hands ran under the curtain and shortly the actors on the car came out through the curtain.  We didn't see the car again so we assume it had a bit of technical difficulites.  At least no one was hurt. It was still very fun.




No comments: