Thursday, May 2, 2013

Friends from the past

It all started when one of my BYU roommates from my freshmen and sophomore year called me and said she was going to be in Salt Lake to see her daughter graduate from the U of U.  Mary asked if I had some time to get together.  As you know, I LOVE getting together with my friends.  It was been over 10 years since I had seen her last so I was so excited.  She gave me a choice of Tuesday and Wednesday.  It turned out that Wednesday became the day as I contacted our roommate Ruth who lives in Logan to come down.  In addition, I contacted our other three roommates--Andrea (Houston, TX), Judy (St. Amant, LA) and Jody (Hurricane, UT) and arranged to them to be around as well so that I could surprise Ruth and Mary with phone calls (unfortunately I am not up on Skpe yet, maybe next time.) to our other roommates.  I had reached Judy and Andrea but no luck with Jody.  I finally left a message on a number that I found on the internet saying that I hoped this was Jody and I would call back that evening.

It went perfectly and we got to talk to our three other roommates.  We spent a little over 30 minutes with each one.  Time went by so fast as we reported about our lives and families, three different times.  Like Mary commented in a text to me today--our lives have taken us many different directions but we all have faced similar trials and we all are still active in the Church.  Judy and Andrea both work as temple workers which was a fun connection.  We were freshmen roommates almost 40 years ago this fall.

We are a bit older now----


Ruth, Mary, And me
 Our husbands were good sports with it all.  We had dinner and then we started calling roommates and the husbands headed down to the pool table and played pool for a couple of hours.  Gary was gone until the end helping with a bowling league at the bowling alley. Gary knows all of my roommates as we all met him our freshman year and he hung out at our apartment a lot---not with me but that is a different story.

With our husbands, Gary, Kirk, and Nolan
I love these women.  I was so lucky to have them with me as I started my adventure at BYU.  We have so many fun memories of being together.  As Kirk pointed out, none of the memories we shared had anything to do with getting an education----true, but there are lots of types of education and living with roomates for the first time was part of my education.  I loved it and love them.


No comments: