Sunday, July 1, 2012

THE RV......



As a prelude to our Giberson reunion trip, let me introduce you to the newest member of the crew, our RV.  (This picture was actually taken when we picked my niece Megan in Provo on our way to Mesa, AZ.)

Now I grew up in a "tenting" family and I loved it.  I loved sleeping in a tent and breathing in the cool air at night while snugged in my sleeping bag (oviliously not my Texas camping memories).  I liked being in the outdoor, sitting around the fire, and all those other things which go with camping.  I admit that the older I got the bigger the depth of air matresses we would get but I did enjoy the chances we had to be outdoors and enjoy nature.

All that time, I don't remember ever thinking that I want to own an RV.  Gary's parents had one for a number of years and we benefited from some of its conveniences when our children were younger on extended family camping trips, but I loved sleeping in our tent at night.

So it was odd when I started thinking about some ways an RV might work for Gary and I and our current situation---maybe Ben would go on short trips with us, perhaps his sister and her husband might as well, it would be nice to have when we are the grandparents, etc......I shared these thoughts with Gary and he also saw some possibitilities and benefits.  We started looking and narrowing down the features we felt we wanted and needed but had no luck really feeling right about one.  Scott had encouraged me to look on ksl.com but I didn't have any luck and it was quite overwhemling to have 300+ pages of RV ads to look at.  Later Scott commented that it was good to check everyday to see what had been added.  I woke up the next day and decided to check and on the first page, there it was.  We went and saw it and bought it the next day.  Both Gary and I have commented that we just knew it was meant for us.  (Hopefully it was meant for us in all the good ways and not that it is going to be a "lemon" in our lives.)

It has seven seat beats, sleeping for six, and is 28' long.  It is a 2004 with 18,000 (although that was before our trip to Mesa).  Don't expecting any naming ceremony....Gary and I have never named a vehicle yet about 34 years so I don't expect that will change.  It will just be the "RV".


No comments: