Thursday, August 26, 2010

My August morning walk

I decided it would be interesting to take pictures along the same route I recorded in March.  Again I wish all my family and friends could join me, one at a time, and walk with me and have conversations.  It is one of my favorite things to do--talk to people I love.  (Which I guess make some sense since that is also my career choice to listen and talk to people.)  I spent almost two hours talking to my sister this morning on the phone.  It was a perfect way to spend a Thursday morning.  She got some ironing done...I did a bit of folding of laundry but just mostly talked with her.  Back to my walk,


Along side the first part of my walk, there runs a stream and along the banks are rows and rows of cattails.  They are maturing now but not yet breaking apart to send their seeds to the wind.  I love cattails because they remind me of my childhood and the ponds that were below our home in Richalnd, Washington.  We played there often and picked cattails and tried to make things with them.  We got tadpoles and watched them change into frogs in a bucket and then took them back to be free again.  Funny what sweet memories come from a cattail.



                       These  birds must live here most of the time.   They hardly moved on these weeds right next to the path asI came down.  They were some of the only birds I heard singing.  Even at 8:00 in the morning it was warm enough that the other birds had quieted their sounds.

 

I love old fences.  Here is the same one I showed before but with the summer weeds and wildflowers almost covering it.  It is at the turn in my walk going from east to the south.








There is a LDS Primary song about mothers that talks about "how all flowers remind us of you (mom)".  For me that is especially true when I see wildflowers.  My mom loved wildflowers and would point them out to us on our drives and vacations.  I have a memory of her having dad stop the car once on a trip so that we could go and look at some black-eyed susans.  She loved those.  Those and the other related daisys and sunflowers often trigger memories of my mom.  What a gift she gave me to notice flowers along my paths.




See my shadow...now I am heading west as I photograph this fence line with wild sunflowers.

And again, at the end of my walk, I cross a bridge over Jensen Pond.  It is a spot to reflect in more ways than one.

Have an awesome day and enjoy the flowers along your paths.

No comments: