Sunday, June 27, 2021

Goodbye to Indy---

You don't know her.  I actually never met her in person, but Indy Llew Jones was a young girl who had Down syndrome who passed away a few weeks ago due to cancer.  She was only 5 years old and had battled cancer since she was two years old.  Her mother had written about her on social media since her birth and has a large following on Instagram. Because of the connection of Down syndrome and the fact that they will in the Salt Lake area, we share friends in common and I have followed their journey.  I actually speak more about her in a post I have in my draft box related to Grief and Dying...if I ever get it to a point that I want to share it.  This post just highlights the public celebration that they had a couple of Sundays ago to celebrate her life and legacy.  Many families from the Down syndrome community showed up to give their support and hugs to the Jones family and to other families. Having a family member with Down syndrome means that there is a wider community of families who are there to share this journey with you if you want that.  We have been grateful for that support in our family and it was sweet to watch it in action at this public gathering even though I only watched it virtually. Even in that type of setting, the ability to mourn with those who mourn is a sacred privilege.  It was amazing to hear both of her parents talk and testify of life beyond this earth and a loving Heavenly Father who made a perfect plan for us and Indy Llew--her life AND her death --were part of that plan and they are honored to have been her earthly parents and connect with her forever.

Terah (her mother) wrote often about the light that Indy brought into the world.  Certainly her parents shared that light with everyone through their sharing of Indy and their personal experiences along the way.

Blowing bubbles in honor of Indy who loved bubbles!

Social media certainly has its pros and cons, but the ability to share, to support, and to be connected in good times and hard ones is a blessing.  I am better because I observed their journey from afar.  I will be a better support and friend to others in their hard moments because of what I have learned from Terah and Bryan Jones.  And hopefully, I will do better in my own trials because of them as well.

Aren't you glad that we don't have to go through this life alone without each other?




No comments: