Sunday, September 3, 2017

Sweet kindnesses.....

 I received these two sweet gifts to acknowledge my graduation and becoming a CSW (certified social worker):

In the mail, I got this Willow tree statue from my sweet friend, Kathy Siebach.  It is called "Love of Learning."  I have known Kathy since our days in Hong Kong.  She and her husband currently live in Japan.
Then my niece, Chera, brought over this gift--a book called "Letters To A Young Therapist".  Chera started her two year on-line social work program at the same time I started my program so she has been working as a social worker at Davis Behavioral Health for a year already.  I am enjoying this book--the author was near my age when she wrote it and it is written in the form of letters to a young graduate student wondering if she can really be a therapist.  Even though I am 62, I am a "new therapist" so I understand the questions and uncertainties of becoming a therapist, but also because the author is around my age, we share a similar cultural history--growing up in the 60's and 70's--the changes in the mental health field, etc.  It is an interesting mix and I have found many things to underline and remind myself of in the future in my work and in my life.
Thanks to all my family and friends who have sent me congratulations and sweet notes of support.  It has been a long journey, but a good one.

No comments: