Sunday, August 9, 2015

Heading home

I think I explained that Gary and I like to try new routes.  Gary didn't care where we went on the way home but just on a new road.  He didn't even want to know what I had decided to do---he just wanted to know when to turn and what direction.  That is a trusting husband.

First, we had to stop at a bridge...so I could walk across it!

While I was walking across this short bridge, I noticed a whirlwind in the distance which grew bigger as I walked and then just disappeared.  In Richland where I grew up, there were these types of dust twirls as well--big and little.  I didn't think of them as rare until I realized that they don't happen everywhere.

 Down into the gorge with a small river at the bottom.

 Ben joined me and took some pictures off the bridge as well.
This is from an overlook on the west side of the bridge.
I always marvel how they figure out these bridges and then that people actually build them in these high spots.  I love bridges and I am enjoying discovering them but I wouldn't want to be building one.

We took a scenic byway through northern New Mexico, passing through Taos and then heading towards southwestern Colorado.

As we climbed back into the mountains, the scenery changed again to the greens of the forests.

Watching a storm across the valley

 Jena took this when it started to rain on us......
The world is so beautiful in all of its diversity.  How quickly it changed from tumbleweeds and wind to forests and green everywhere.

I am not sure when Gary figured out our final destination for the night but since it showed up on the mileage markers about 90 miles before we arrived, I think he had a clue---more adventures were just around the corner..............

No comments: